*[Enwl-eng] Ban the cut

ENWLine

Mar 12, 2016, 4:11:31 PM3/12/16
to "ENWL-uni"

98% of girls in Somalia are subjected to female genital mutilation, the highest prevalence on the planet. But right now the government is considering a ban and our global support could help push the decision through. Add your voice now:

sign now

Dear Friends,

Six-year-old Hibo Wardere was told, “You are brave, you are courageous, tomorrow you are going to be a woman,” then she was led to a makeshift hut in the Somali capital of Mogadishu and a local ‘cutter’ used a razor to remove her genitalia.

Hibo is one of 200 million women and girls in 30 countries across the world that have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM). But in Somalia, where an astounding 98% of girls are cut, the Minister for Women is developing a ban right now. Local experts say that a global wave of support for nationwide zero tolerance could help win an outright ban on this cruel practice in weeks!

Puntland, in northeast Somalia, just proposed a full ban, and there is precedent of the central government adopting their progressive legislation. If enough of us praise these bold leaders for taking a stand for girls now, we can bolster their initiatives, and help push through a law in this next Parliament. Join the call now and tell everyone:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fgm_somalia_ban_loc/?bUSymfb&v=73870&cl=9617349835

Female genital mutilation is an undebatable human rights violation. There are no medical benefits to the procedure. In fact, it is extremely dangerous - girls can even die because of infection from unsanitary conditions, and the scars can cause childbirth difficulties, and menstruation complications. It is widely believed that FGM is a religious practice that increases marriageability and provides a transition to adulthood for women. But Muslim leaders have pointed out that this is simply not rooted in religion.

Although legislation alone is not the solution - public education is crucial to end this practice - this opportunity in Somalia could help save thousands of young girls being prepared for mutilation. This is a progressive government, a partial ban was announced last year, and experts say 3/4 of the MPs are likely to back this initiative.

The Puntland leader and the Minister for Women are leading the way to this reform, but messages of hope and encouragement to them from our community will be a huge motivation to get it onto the Parliamentary agenda and pushed through. Unicef, who are on the ground working tirelessly to wipe out FGM in Somalia, are calling for our support right now. Sign the petition and share widely:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fgm_somalia_ban_loc/?bUSymfb&v=73870&cl=9617349835

Our community has stood up to end practices that subjugate and abuse women and girls. The battle to end these customs are some of the most important fights of our time to create a world where our sisters and daughters have the same chance in life as our brothers and sons. Somalia has the highest prevalence of female genital mutilation in the world, once it is outlawed there - it could become a beacon of hope for the rest of the world. Let’s stand with them and help Somalia lead the world to end this cruelty.

With hope,

Lisa, Fatima, Mike, Ricken, Alice, Ari and the whole Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

New statistical report on female genital mutilation shows harmful practice is a global concern (UNICEF)
http://www.unicef.org/media/media_90033.html

Female Genital Mutilation More Widespread Than Previously Thought (TIME)
http://time.com/4207731/200-million-women-children-fgm-unicef/

Somali minister hints at move to ban FGM (The Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/somali-minister-hint-fgm-ban-female-genital-mutilation

7 facts you need to know about female genital mutilation (Mashable)
http://mashable.com/2015/08/09/female-genital-mutilation/

Avaaz.org is a 42-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:29 AM
Subject: Ban the cut