*[Enwl-eng] Covid-19 is coming for nuclear workers. Tell our leaders to protect them

ENWLine

May 13, 2020, 12:55:44 PM5/13/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Nuclear worker wearing mask

Nuclear workers are on the frontlines during the pandemic.

  Tell our leaders to protect nuclear workers

When we think about frontline or essential workers during the Covid-19 pandemic, we often think of doctors, nurses, grocery clerks, bus drivers, and others who perform critical services and can’t work from home.

But there are some essential workers that haven’t been mentioned a lot in the news: nuclear plant workers.

Nuclear plant employees already work under dangerous conditions during normal times. But under the shadow of the Covid-19 pandemic, they face even more risk. Nuclear workers are being required to show up at their plants, exposing themselves not only to dangerous radiation, but also to potential virus carriers.

These workers need protection—but most nuclear plant owners and our leaders in Washington aren’t doing anything to protect them. Tell President Trump, Vice President Pence, and your members of Congress to protect nuclear workers during the pandemic.

Nuclear plant employees are often working without social distancing measures or even the personal protective equipment (PPE) necessary to keep them safe from the pandemic. Hundreds—if not thousands—of these workers across the country have already been infected with the virus.

Nuclear corporations are pressing forward with refueling reactors across the country. Workers who don’t take part in those operations will go unemployed—but because they’re contractors, they won’t even receive unemployment benefits.

Nuclear workers are the front line of nuclear safety, and they deserve protection. Tell President Trump, Vice President Pence, and your members of Congress to protect nuclear workers during the pandemic.

After you contact our leaders in Washington, please forward this email to anyone you know who wants to protect nuclear workers. We hope you’re staying healthy and safe.

Thanks for all you do,

The NIRS Team:

Diane D'Arrigo
Luis Hestres