*[Enwl-eng] Yemen's children

1 view

ENWLine

Feb 25, 2021, 10:41:35 AM2/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends, Starving children don't cry.Their tiny bodies can't waste energy on tears. Instead they use every last calorie to keep their organs pumping.But for 4-year old Abdo Sayid, who weighed only 14 pounds, that became too much.Like roughly 85,000 other children in Yemen, he starved to death, unable to get enough food or medical care during the devastating civil war. Half of all medical facilities have been destroyed or forced to close, and 80% of the population needs urgent humanitarian aid -- including 12 million children.12 million children.The situation is critical. But while we can't suddenly end the whole war, we can do something -- and it could save lives.Even as the bombs keep falling, aid workers and brave local volunteers are going all out to provide for everyone they can -- setting up hospitals, delivering emergency food aid, and life-saving surgery on the very frontlines of a most brutal war. But their budgets just don't stretch far enough, and they need our help.So right now, wherever you are in the world, this is a chance to help them save lives -- to help fund these hospitals, provide that emergency care, and feed hundreds of children too weak to cry. Every cent you give will go to this emergency response -- so donate what you can now:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €27
OTHER AMOUNT
Yemen's war is complicated -- but the suffering is deadly simple. A vicious armed conflict of landmines and airstrikes has devastated the population, triggering a humanitarian crisis like no other.

Yet while international government aid is dismally low, there are signs of hope. US president Biden is taking steps that could accelerate critical funding and fuel global efforts to end the war -- but it could come too late for many. We need an emergency response, now.

As of December, 100,000 children under the age of five are so severely malnourished that they could die if they do not receive urgent treatment.

Medics, volunteers, and humanitarian groups are trying to fill the gaps -- but they just don't have enough. We can help them do more, and if we all chip in now, we could:
  • Help fund critical medical facilities in devastated areas of Yemen;
  • Provide life-saving food aid for thousands of desperate families;
  • Ensure thousands of people have access to critical medicines and pay for a fleet of ambulances;
  • Fund mobile clinics and power medical centres with emergency generators.
For just $2 we could help feed a child like Abdo for another day. It's heartbreaking that a child's life could hang on such a delicate thread; that's simply how dire the situation has become. But right now I can promise you that every single dollar we raise will be used to help save lives -- donate what you can now:
I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €27
OTHER AMOUNT

From Myanmar to the Amazon, India, South Africa, and Pakistan, our movement has risen time and again in the face of human suffering. We don't look away -- because around the world, we are all united by a simple, beautiful belief: that no matter where you live, who you love, or how you pray, every human life is precious.

This is our chance to affirm that belief again, with endless hope and determination.

Mike, Marigona, Alis, Will, Christoph and the whole team at Avaaz

* Note: The photograph above is not of Abdo referenced in the text. It is of another Yemeni child, also battling malnutrition at a hospital in the district of Aslam in the northwestern Hajjah province

PPS - This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-800-922-8229 (US).
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500