*[Enwl-eng] We won this battle against Total. Help us win the war

ENWLine

Dec 5, 2021, 11:42:49 AM12/5/21
to "ENWL-uni"

🎯 The French public investment bank announced it won’t fund Total’s dirty project, now is the time to take on their other funders.

Hi,

Our movement just cut off an important source of funding to a fossil fuel giant’s destructive business. We’ve learnt that France’s public investment bank won’t fund Total’s gas pipeline in the Arctic!

Together with our partners, SumOfUs and Friends of the Earth, 250,000 people signed a petition to the French Government. And the French Government heard us.

We’ve won this battle, but the fight isn’t over. Total has many fossil fuel projects. We need commercial banks and public institutions to completely cut the cash flow to Total and the whole fossil fuel industry.

If we keep the pressure on Total’s funders, we can make sure not one more penny goes to its climate-wrecking projects - like we just did for gas pipeline Arctic LNG 2.

You’ve signed our petition calling on banks to stop funding Total’s criminal projects, now can you take it further: Will you share this petition with five friends so we can cut all the money funding this criminal corporation?

As temperatures keep rising dangerously in the Arctic and across the world, even French commercial banks had started withdrawing their funding from this project. Yet the French Government was going to provide 700 million euros insurance for Total’s destructive Arctic project through its public investment bank. But people power stopped them.

This victory wasn’t easy, and France still waited until funding for the project was secured before withdrawing from it. But it shows that institutions will bow to pressure and admit that extracting fossil fuels is bad for our climate.

This decision could pave the way for many more. It sets an example to other banks and institutions that are funding Total’s projects. It shows that raising our voices together can achieve victories.

And that matters, because every penny we cut off is a penny less this fossil fuel giant has to continue its dangerous business. Will you help us cut the flow by sharing this with your friends?

A few days ago I felt like no bank was listening to us or taking action. Now, I can see we are having an impact. That’s why these moments are important.

This is the time to fight.

With hope,

Ellie and the 350.org team

350.org is building a global climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

Update your email address, location, or language.

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 11:00 AM
Subject: We won this battle against Total, Vladimir. Help us win the war.