*[Enwl-eng] [can-eecca] READ/SIGN-ON letter "100 days of the war in Ukraine"

1 view

ENWLine

May 31, 2022, 8:21:13 AM5/31/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends and colleagues,

At our last Friday's Stand With Ukraine call we came up with the draft idea that I am sharing with you now. There is a short version and a longer version in the document.

We apologise for the urgency of the matter. I know that many of you are incredibly busy before Stockholm+50 and we deeply appreciate your support.

Please consider signing-on by the end of the day tomorrow, May 31

Countries around the world, with a few exceptions, continue buying coal, oil and gas from Russia thus powering its war machine that has already killed tens of thousands of civilians and injured countless others and caused multiple global crises. Moreover, fossil fuel exploration is increasing in many regions of the world, especially African, Asian and Latin American countries, whom we stand in solidarity with.

The EU is poignantly slow in banning and phasing out Russian fossil fuels and every day still sending about one billion euros to feed putin’s war machine but far more active in mobilizing oil and gas reserves worldwide. This deepens the climate crisis and severely undermines the EU global leadership in green transformation declared by the EU Green Deal. We would like to use the political moment and make a pressure on the EU towards the ban of Russian fossil fuels and acceleration of a clean energy transition.

We demand:
  • a complete and immediate embargo on Russian coal, oil and gas as well as sanctions against the Russian nuclear sector;
  • secondary sanctions on all buyers of Russian fossils, including buyers outside the sanctions coalition countries, shipping companies and refineries
  • radical clean energy transition and rapidly accelerated investments in the development of clean energy, energy efficiency and energy savings measures across Europe and globally as a wartime effort to increase energy security and speed up climate action.
Thank you so much and in solidarity,

--

Dr. Svitlana Romanko

Environmental Lawyer
Climate Change, Law, Social Transformation Strategist

Ukraine

Sign in: Stand With Ukraine

--
Вы получили это сообщение, поскольку подписаны на группу "CAN-EECCA".

--
Вы получили это сообщение, поскольку подписаны на группу "Environmental Negative Consequences of the War".