*[Enwl-eng] Facebook's in trouble...

ENWLine

Jun 30, 2020, 12:43:31 PM6/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

160 companies including Coke, Starbucks, and Unilever have announced they're suspending all Facebook ads until the tech giant fixes its disastrous disinformation and hate speech policies!

This is a total game-changer -- we need to get other companies on board while momentum is high. Add your name and let's finally get the Facebook reform our world needs:

 Sign the petition

HUGE news -- 160 companies, including mega-giants Coca-Cola, Starbucks, and Unilever have announced this week that they're suspending all Facebook ads!

It's an unprecedented response to the tech giant's disastrous disinformation and hate speech policies, which have already impacted elections and fueled real-life racist violence.

Facebook is in full panic-mode -- 99% of their revenue comes from ads. Now they're doing damage control but the movement is picking up steam.

If we can get more corporate giants -- like Proctor and Gamble, the world's largest advertiser -- to join right now, we could finally get the critical Facebook reform we've needed for years. But we need to push before the momentum drops -- add your name and share everywhere:

Tell companies: Suspend your Facebook advertisements until it cleans up its act!

Facebook has seemed totally unwilling or incapable of tackling the platform's problems. But now companies big and small are facing their own reckoning about systems of oppression, and many are taking note of Facebook’s hand in it.

Just for example, Facebook has allowed incitement to violence against protesters in the US; turned a blind eye to blatant voter suppression; fanned the flames of genocide in Myanmar; and refused to call Holocaust denial "hate".

Reform is badly needed. And since Facebook is almost entirely dependent on ad money, this campaign will soon pose a crippling financial threat if Facebook execs don't rethink their approach.

Massive advertisers like Proctor & Gamble are on the fence right now, but could be pushed to join -- this is our chance to build the Facebook the world needs. Add your name:

Tell companies: Suspend your Facebook advertisements until it cleans up its act!

Our community was made for moments like this -- when pressuring companies to act leads to insurmountable impact. Let’s do it again, and help be the guiding light for how companies should move through and engage with the digital age.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Danny and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

The North Face halts Facebook ads, urges anti-racist policy LA Times, June 19 2020
Facebook faces advertiser revolt over failure to address hate speech The Guardian, June 22 2020
Facebook and Twitter stocks dive as Unilever halts advertising, CNN, June 26 2020

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 4:30 AM
Subject: Facebook's in trouble...