*[Enwl-eng] COP26: We have until tomorrow to fix this

ENWLine

Nov 12, 2021, 12:00:01 PM11/12/21
to "ENWL-uni"
The UN has finally named fossil fuels as the problem and wants COP26 to take action, but climate laggards are trying to block it. We can’t let them.

Hi,

Finally, some signs of progress at the UN climate conference. The UN has shared a draft of the final COP26 decision. The text finally openly names the problem - fossil fuels.

It might be the bare minimum, but it’s a vital step in the right direction because the text urges countries to phase out coal and end fossil fuel subsidies. And, crucially, this text is legally binding for all signatories. [1]

But there are climate laggards, like Australia, who are lobbying hard to weaken the draft text, so they can carry on as before. They want to continue risking people’s lives by extracting dirty, deadly fossil fuels.

We need to show Australia that the world is watching and that we’ll know whom to blame if COP26 fails. We must keep the phasing out of fossil fuels in the text.

Australia's ministers care about their image. If we pile on the pressure publicly, and make sure media reporting from COP26 is focused on countries threatening to remove even this incomplete call for fossil fuel phase-out, we could get them to back down. But we only have until Friday, when COP26 is set to end.

Will you share a message on social media to demand the Australian Government keep fossil fuels in the text to keep it in the ground?

If you don’t use Twitter, you can also leave a comment on this Facebook post by Mr. Angus Taylor, Australia’s Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction, and ask him not to stand in the way of real action against fossil fuels at COP26.

Australia and its fossil fuel allies, like Russia and Saudi Arabia, have a long history of blocking action. They have financial interests and deep ties to the coal, oil and gas industries. That’s why they’re so opposed to this text and want to carry on digging and burning fossil fuels. [2]

We’ve known all along that these fuels will destroy our homes. Because of our movement, decision-makers have finally begun to admit that fossil fuels are the problem. We can’t let climate laggards like Australia block this important step forward.

There is a long way to go, and this text isn’t perfect, but if we can get this through it’s a jumping-off point that will help us push them for more things - from defunding fossil fuels to investing in a just transition.

COP26 is a compass for climate action across the world. Together, we can get it pointing in the right direction.

Tweet the Australian Prime Minister and Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction or post a comment on Facebook.

In solidarity and hope,

Cansin Leylim, for the 350.org team

P.S. Wondered what else is in the text? Check out our blog for everything you need to know.