*[Enwl-eng] A green Corona recovery

1 view

ENWLine

May 7, 2020, 12:50:26 PM5/7/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Sign the open letter.

Dear friends,

In days, Europe will put forward its HUGE pandemic recovery plan -- but big polluters and coal-loving governments are trying to ensure the plan locks the world into dirty energy for years to come!

The plan will decide how trillions of dollars are spent, and if it ignores climate change we’ll be on track for a climate catastrophe that makes the Corona-crisis look like a picnic. But if Europe embraces a bold green recovery, it will determine how other major economies respond to this crucible moment

Right now our future is in the hands of three powerful women: EU President Ursula von der Leyen, Europe’s top banker Christine Lagarde and Europe's most powerful national leader, German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

If they face down the lobbyists, we’ll have taken a big step towards a greener future. But right now they're under massive pressure and they need our support -- so let’s give it to them by signing this giant open letter from citizens everywhere calling for a green pandemic recovery plan!

add my name

To President von der Leyen, Chancellor Merkel, Christine Lagarde and all EU leaders:

We believe that Europe can lead us out of the dark days of this global pandemic towards the future we dream of.

We are strong enough to fight back and recover from this virus. We are generous enough to ensure no one is left behind. And we are wise enough to ensure this recovery does not lay the foundations for even worse climate crises in the future.

We know you are under pressure from polluters. You must stand strong. The only real future is a green future. And the only real recovery is a green recovery. Europe can lead the world towards both.

Let's make the Green Deal our Recovery Deal and build it on strong green financial solutions with a climate bank and a climate budget at its heart. Move our money away from fossil fuels, tax profit instead of people, and unleash a new generation of green jobs in a clean economy.

Add my name

With hope for the future,

Luis, BertAlice, Patricia, Pascal, and the whole Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION:

Polluter bailouts and lobbying during Covid-19 pandemic (The Guardian):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/17/polluter-bailouts-and-lobbying-during-covid-19-pandemic

Coronavirus recovery plan 'must tackle climate change' (BBC News):
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52418624

'Coronavirus profiteers' condemned as polluters gain bailout billions (The Guardian):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/17/coronavirus-profiteers-condemned-as-polluters-gain-bailout-billions

Avaaz is a 55-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).