*[Enwl-eng] Pangolins

1 view

ENWLine

Jun 1, 2020, 9:35:02 AM6/1/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Wildlife traffickers are using Facebook to sell body parts of the adorable, extinction-threatened pangolin. But Facebook is refusing to take action.

Can you chip in $1 to call out executives with ads on their own platform and force them to protect pangolins?

Little pangolin

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Donate $1 now

The adorable pangolin has been around for 80 million years -- it's survived everything you can imagine. But now poachers are pushing it toward extinction.

And Facebook is helping!

Investigators just discovered that a simple multi-language search on Facebook turns up listing after listing for pangolin parts. It's against Facebook's rules but it isn't doing anything about it.

So let's make this a massive headache until they do. We already have a petition with over 216,000 signers -- if enough of us chip in $1 we can completely blanket Facebook with ads, even targeting execs and employees, until they can't ignore it anymore. Can you help?

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Yes, I'll donate $1 to help protect pangolins

Pangolins aren't as well known as elephants or rhinos, but they're actually more trafficked than either of them -- up to 2.7 million pangolins a year are murdered for their meat and scales, which are used in some traditional medicine.

It's not only tragic, it's dangerous -- pangolins may be connected to the Covid-19 outbreak, and scientists say they likely host other coronaviruses that could make the leap to humans.

So an ancient, highly threatened species with links to coronaviruses is being openly sold by traffickers on Facebook. The platform's community standards already ban this -- but apparently we're going to need to hold their feet to the fire for them to actually enforce it.

And the best way will be to make sure they can't miss our campaign. Every US$1 means we can show it to almost 100 people -- can you chip in $1 to make Facebook take notice?

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Yes, I'll donate $1 to help protect pangolins

Facebook is supposed to be about connecting people, and so many of us use it to catch up with friends or family. It's horrifying that others are taking advantage of the same structures to profit from the murder of nearly-extinct animals. We need to tell Facebook there's no place for this on our social media sites.

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Donate $1 now

Thanks for all that you do,
Danny and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Facebook allowing pangolin sales
Tech Transparency Project. 6 May 2020.

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.

Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:24 PM
Subject: Pangolins