*[Enwl-eng] The climate impacts are heartbreaking

ENWLine

Jul 23, 2021, 10:27:03 AM7/23/21
to "ENWL-uni"

The movement must continue if we are to survive the heatwaves and the severe floods

Fossil Free Digest

Fossil Free News 58

Hello,

We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe. With so much happening in the world from extreme heat waves to severe flooding, how can we not talk about climate change?

The need to start a global movement to fight the climate crisis is something that we needed to start yesterday. Activists around the world cannot scream louder for governments, and financial institutions to stop funding fossil fuels.

The impacts of climate change are heartbreaking and this edition is a gentle reminder of the fight against the climate crisis. The wheel does not stop, and the movement must continue as we stand up to the fossil fuel industry to build a clean energy future for all.

We want to take this time to reassure you of the consistency of this newsletter. We understand that we may have missed a month but rest assured, it will be popping into your inboxes on a monthly basis.

In solidarity,

Christine

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Indonesia says No New Coal Plants!

Indonesia’s Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry announced that they would not be approving any new coal-fired power plants.

As one of the most vulnerable countries in the face of climate breakdown, with 23 million people living in coastal areas at risk of sinking, Indonesia must begin to phase out coal and other fossil fuels immediately.

The country is taking a step in the right direction by not approving any new coal-fired power plants, but there is still work to be done.

READ MORE for the full article.

The Keystone XL Pipeline is Cancelled. Next Target is Line 3

The controversial KXL pipeline project has been terminated. This big win comes after five months of President Biden issuing an executive order revoking the presidential permit for KXL.

However, the fight must continue. The Line 3 project must also be terminated. Activists and environmental groups are still taking it to the streets and protesting against the project. We know that the continuation of this pipeline will bring about environmental threats and could possibly worsen global climate change.

READ MORE HERE

Japan Must Stop Funding Coal in Bangladesh

Japan – a G7 member – attended the Summit in London on June 11th, 2021 to tackle climate finance whilst still funding the Matarbari coal plant in Bangladesh.

The project has displaced communities and climate impacts have intensified. In response, the Green New Deal was launched as a way to put pressure on the government to cancel all coal plant projects and pursue new solar energy projects.

Bangladesh is a developing country and needs all the support it can get. More can be done and all you have to do is CLICK HERE and get involved.

READ MORE HERE

USE YOUR POWER

Activists called on MUFG to #DefundClimateCrisis

Activists around the world staged Global Days of Actions – June 17 - 22 – targeting the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) to #DefundClimateCrisis. The actions were aimed at calling on Asia’s largest banker of climate chaos to stop its global funding of fossil fuel projects, deforestation and human rights abuses

The global actions were organised in prime global locations including Tokyo, Jakarta, New York, Brazil and many more. In addition to the in-person actions, activists also participated in social media campaigns calling on the bank.

CLIMATE IMPACTS

Extreme Heat Waves across the World

The city of Jacobabad located in Pakistan was recorded as the hottest city in the world, with temperatures touching 52°C.

Other parts of Asia and Europe also experienced record-breaking heat temperatures.

If this doesn't scream ‘CLIMATE CRISIS’, we don’t know what will.

Check out our statement HERE.

READ MORE HERE

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

ONES TO WATCH

We can Replace Fossil Fuels and Meet 1.5℃ Target with Renewable Energy Only

New analysis states that the world already has enough renewable energy potential to transition from fossil fuels while also expanding more energy access for all.

In order for the 1.5℃ target to be met, the world needs to actively wind down all existing coal mines and gas wells.

READ MORE

Maine Becomes the First State to Pass Law to Divest from Fossil Fuels

The new bill is said to direct US$17 billion pension fund and state treasury to divest from coal, oil and gas companies by 2026.

Maine’s new direction shows the state is acting responsibly and understanding the climate crisis.

READ MORE

Thank you for taking the time to read through the newsletter.

Donate

View this email online

Fossil Free News is a global newsletter published every two weeks, with climate organizing stories from campaigns working for a just and equitable world, free from fossil fuels.

For more updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

If you have feedback, write to us at ffdi...@350.org

You're receiving this email because you signed up to receive updates from 350.org.

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 1:06 PM
Subject: The climate impacts are heartbreaking