*[Enwl-eng] Have your say

enwl

Jun 13, 2022, 1:19:27 PM6/13/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Next week, the European Central Bank is having a crucial meeting with the European Parliament: it is a rare chance for Members of the European Parliament to scrutinize the Bank and hold it accountable for its disastrous climate record.

MEPs want your view too! Your answers will reinforce MEPs’ action and send a reminder that a green, fair and sustainable ECB is still the number one priority for Europeans.

It will only take three minutes, are you ready?

 GIVE YOUR OPINION

Shell, TotalEnergies, Repsol, Eni and OMV - these are just a few of the dirty and polluting companies the European Central Bank continues to finance against all scientific imperatives.

As one of the least transparent central bank’s in the world, it’s near impossible to hold it to account for its climate and ecological negligence.

However, a window of opportunity has opened and it's a real chance for you to actually have a say about the ECB’s policies.

Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) are meeting with ECB executives, including Christine Lagarde next week— it's a very rare opportunity for our democratic representatives in the European Parliament to finally ask the difficult questions, review the Bank’s performance and make our concerns heard above the din fossil fuels lobbyists intent on spoiling our planet.

Ahead of the bank's meeting, MEPs need the weight of people power behind them.

This survey is the occasion for MEPs to directly collect people’s concerns and raise them during their discussion with the ECB on 20th June.

MEPs need to know what you care about – spend 3 minutes filling in the survey and make your concerns heard.

TAKE THE SURVEY

The ECB affects all our everyday lives and has the potential to improve our financial system or, instead, reinforce its failures. However, as an independent central bank it is hardly ever held to account for its decisions - even the bad ones.

And when it comes to the climate policy, the ECB executives have been getting away with ecological murder by propping up and investing some of the most polluting companies in the world - corporations that have already pushed our climate to the brink.

That’s why this June these talks between the MEPs and the ECB (Monetary Dialogues) are so vital: they are critical for us - the people - to say enough is enough to the ECB climate investments and propose a greener way forward.

In the past, citizens have not been seriously included in Monetary Dialogues. We’ve teamed up with our friends at Positive Money EU to make sure this year you are and that your concerns are heard.

It’s high time the ECB is properly scrutinized for its policies and for its failures.

ahead of MEPs talks with the ECB, let them know your views: take the 3 min survey.

TAKE THE SURVEY

From the cost of living crisis, to war and its consequences in all Europe, the ECB is facing a critical period. However, it’s crucial we remind its decision-makers not to chase one issue with another: they can’t keep on ignoring the impending climate urgency. Answers to the global crisis have to be sustainable and fair, not a step backward for people and our planet!

Hundreds of thousands of SumOfUs members have already got the ECB to acknowledge its role in the climate crisis and push it to take first modest actions. Two years ago, thousands of you took a survey and we took the results directly to the ECB executives – they were certainly very unaccustomed to coming face-to-face with the public's opinions!

here is still a long way ahead to make sure European monetary policy supports the fight against climate change and for social progress. Let’s refuse a world based on carbon emissions and inequality.

MEPs should boldly engage with the ECB’s to break its climate inaction. All this before it is too late. And to do so, they need your support:

Have your say! Fill in the survey to support MEPs’ talks with the ECB.

 GIVE YOUR OPINION

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla, Charles and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Europe's Future Money System a Citizen's Perspective
Positive Money EU. 10 October 2021.

ECB’s fossil fuel holdings jump amid Covid purchasing spree
Reclaim Finance. 28 October, 2021.

Climate Roadmap. Now What? Next Steps for the ECB to Support the Low-Carbon Transition
Positive Money. 4 April 2022.

Experts Tell the European Central Bank to Adopt Lower Rates for Greener Loans
Positive Money. 2 June 2022.

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2022 1:16 PM
Subject: Have your say Vladimir