*[Enwl-eng] What’s worth fighting for?

1 view

ENWLine

Jan 29, 2021, 11:53:34 AM1/29/21
to "ENWL-uni"

This is part of a series of 6-weekly emails written by our Director telling stories to help you understand what the heck we're trying to do and where you might fit in.

Hi,

Something really caught my eye last week. It was a poll, stating that 78% of Germans hope the world will "significantly change" to be more sustainable and fair after the pandemic. The global average is even higher. [1] That is a whole lot of will for positive change. When you think about it, it’s incredible.

But it’s also a bit vague. What could that surge of fairness and sustainability look like in Europe? And how could we get there? I’d like to hear from you about your hopes.

Where do we need change in Europe?

So much lies in the balance right now:

  • Like trains. 2021 is the European Year of Rail. The European Commission wants to promote affordable high-speed rail as one part of the solution to climate change. [2] But that won't suit the car lobby. Or the plane lobby. And they will push like hell to water ambition down. Where’s the people power in this debate?
  • Like access to affordable medicines and vaccines beyond the pandemic: this will hit the EU agenda in April. But is anyone watching what happens there? How affordable will they be? How transparent will the pharma industry have to be about pricing?
  • As the economic impact of the pandemic settles in and millions more are affected, 2021 should really be the year to pilot a Universal Basic Income in Europe. [3] This is one of the tricky ones that is not really even on the table. It won't get there unless we demand it.
  • The EU-Mercosur trade deal will return to the EU agenda: can we stop them from fuelling the total destruction of the Amazon?
  • The Common Agricultural Policy is almost decided on and it has the potential to totally screw up the ambition of the EU Green Deal. By June, we will see whether Commission President Ursula von der Leyen uses her power to withdraw the CAP. Or not. Right now she’s not budging but people in Europe have the power to change this. [4]
  • Will more trees and food be burnt as energy sources in Europe? The revision of the Renewable Energy Directive will say. Who’s watching?
  • Migrants and refugees are still viewed as statistics. And although Europe has not built a wall like the one Trump wanted on the Mexican border, an invisible wall is there. In March, the Greek government violently pushed away people escaping war and poverty on their border and the European Commission President congratulated it. [5] It is in this context that the new EU Migration Pact will be agreed this year.
  • €750 billion in post-COVID funding will be spent in 27 EU member states this year. Right now our governments are busy writing their plans. Who will get that recovery money? Will it be used towards sustainability and fairness? Or to prop up industries that are not sustainable and therefore should have no future?
  • A conference on the Future of Europe this year could include a Citizens Assembly on climate change that could spice up democracy and generate some good ideas on the way forward. How much does that matter?

All the uncertainties we are facing right now can go either way. We have so many opportunities to nudge things in the right direction. And we are called upon to do that. Most of us want more fairness and more sustainability after the pandemic. So, let’s get cracking together.

Fill in the survey and tell us:

What's worth fighting for?

This will take less than 2 minutes.

We'll be waiting to hear from you!