*[Enwl-eng] A world on fire

1 view

ENWLine

Nov 11, 2020, 11:51:08 AM11/11/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Take Action Now!

Dear friends,

In the past few months, Australia, the Amazon and the US have been engulfed in wildfires so big you could see them from space. Meanwhile, wildlife is being wiped out -- scientists say that populations of wild animals have crashed by almost 70% in the past 50 years.

It’s terrifying -- our planet hasn’t seen anything like it for millions of years. But this nightmare could prompt a crucial step for humanity -- a shift to living in harmony with nature.

With Trump gone, and major global decisions around the corner, we can start right now!

Avaaz has put together a year-long action plan to save life on Earth, to make real progress on tackling the twin threats of the climate change and extinction crises, and save life on Earth. Here’s what we’ll do:
  • Get President Biden to deliver on his promise to rejoin the Paris deal, and launch a Green New Deal;
  • Push major countries to back 100% clean energy before next year’s crucial UN climate summit;
  • Go all-out to win our science-backed plan to protect half the planet at a critical world biodiversity summit;
  • Continue to support inspiring youth and indigenous leaders defending our planet.
Urgently needed action on climate and extinction has already been delayed because of Covid, and we don’t have any time to lose. For this to work, we need to get started right now, and keep our support going through the year. If 10,000 of us make just a small donation each week, we can power this global resistance for our planet.

Chip in what you can now -- and let’s build a world we’re proud to pass onto our children:

I'LL DONATE €1 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE €2 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE €3 WEEKLY
OTHER AMOUNT
Earth can't wait any more. We're living through the hottest years on record. A million species face extinction, and half the world's forests are gone. The corals are bleaching, the wetlands drying, and seas are falling silent. This great temple of life is collapsing before our eyes.

But it's not too late.

Renewable energy is shattering records -- and now the global pandemic has shown that huge, systemic changes can be quicker and far more profound than anyone hoped. All that's missing is the political will to do it -- and that's exactly what Avaaz was created for.

No other movement has the global reach to do this everywhere, and at the scale we need. This and everything we achieve in the world, is funded 100% by small donations from people like you -- so chip in a small weekly amount, and let’s fight for a future worth living:

I'LL DONATE €1 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE €2 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE €3 WEEKLY
OTHER AMOUNT
Time and again, our movement has fought to protect the planet. And we’ve made magic happen -- helping to win the Paris climate agreement, protecting swathes of threatened habitat, and standing behind the world’s indigenous communities as they defend life on Earth. But now that great battle is coming down to the line -- and as we armour up, our faces to the sky, let's remember one thing: together we are capable of the most extraordinary things. We can do this. We must.

With hope and determination,

Bert, Marigona, Mike, Sofia, Oscar, Mouhamad, and the whole team at Avaaz

More information:

Mass Extinctions Are Accelerating, Scientists Report (New York Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/science/mass-extinctions-are-accelerating-scientists-report.html

Alarm as Arctic sea ice not yet freezing at latest date on record (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/alarm-as-arctic-sea-ice-not-yet-freezing-at-latest-date-on-record

The 2010s were a lost decade for climate. We can’t afford a repeat, scientists warn (Washington Post)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/12/31/s-were-lost-decade-climate-we-cant-afford-repeat-scientists-warn/

Avaaz is a 60-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "G8+5: FEEL THE HEAT, ACT NOW!" on 2007-06-01

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 10:12 AM
Subject: A world on fire