*[Enwl-eng] The air we breathe

ENWLine

Mar 18, 2021, 2:58:37 PM3/18/21
to "ENWL-uni"

In many places in Europe, the air is so bad that it is literally unhealthy to breathe. But because of how the EU defines "clean" air, we think our air is clean when it isn't. Next week, the EU Parliament will talk about this and it could be a game-changer.

Hi,

In one of the schools in Warsaw, there is a big red dot on a board next to the entrance. It tells the kids whether they can play outdoors. On many days they don’t: the air is so polluted that playing outside is too much of a health risk.

Air pollution causes asthma, childhood cancers, and chronic diseases in children. [1] And it leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths in Europe every year. [2]

The EU has standards for air quality that are meant to protect us. But because they aren’t 100% based on science, the alarm levels are set far too high. [2] This makes us think our air is clean when it is not.

Next week, the EU Parliament will discuss how to review air quality standards. And whatever they decide could be a serious game-changer for the air we breathe. [3]

Before the vote, MEPs who don’t know about the issue will have to learn about it, and those on the fence will need convincing. To do it, we have to put our names together to show how many Europeans care about the air they breathe. Add yours now!

Sign now for cleaner air

It is really simple: if the air is polluted, it is not safe. [4] But over a decade ago, the alarm levels of pollution were set much higher than suggested by science. So ‘officially’ most people in Europe are breathing acceptable air, and politicians don’t have to do anything to protect our health.

However, if we use the World Health Organisation’s definition of clean air, the picture changes abruptly: 75% of people living in cities across the EU breathe health-threatening air. [5] We have to show the EU Parliament and the politicians in all EU institutions that we know about the air we breathe and that we won't turn a blind eye to it.

Right now, we have a chance to let all children breathe safely. We can make our cities green and our air fresh. Sign and ask the EU for better air quality in Europe.

Sign now

For the health of the kids,
David (London), Marta (Warsaw) and the entire WeMove team

PS: Air pollution is not only dangerous for kids, but is a huge risk to us all. It has been proven that its linked to heart and lung disease as well as a rise in obesity and Alzheimer’s. [6] Make sure we are all protected: Sign the petition!