*[Enwl-eng] Coalition Clean Baltic: Another extinction?

enwl

Jun 21, 2022, 1:32:20 PM6/21/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Photo of the Baltic porpoise, Buiten-Beeld / Alamy Stock Photo

The Baltic porpoise is on the verge of being made extinct because of cruel industrial fishing methods. Add your support to our message to MEPs: stop the industrial fishing corporations from wiping out our wildlife, before it’s too late.

This petition was launched on our YouMove platform by Coalition Clean Baltic. We think it may interest you.

Will we never learn until it’s too late? Time and time again, we’ve driven species to extinction through the vicious exploitation of our environment. Now it’s happening again: the Baltic porpoise - the most endangered whale in Europe - could be wiped out by aggressive fishing practices. [1]

It’s not too late to stop the extinction. MEPs could act now to stop the huge industrial fishing operations from using nets that drown porpoises because they can’t reach the surface to breathe. And that’s not all they do to harm porpoises: the huge noise from the boats deafens porpoises which eventually causes their death - if they can’t hear, they can’t communicate with other whales and can’t find food.[2]

In two weeks, in Sweden, there’s a special week of political engagement with citizens and campaigns. It’s a huge opportunity to stand up for the porpoises: Sweden is one of the biggest players in the Baltic, and if their leaders speak up, the rest of Europe will have to listen.

Can you join the campaign now, and persuade Swedish politicians to defend Baltic porpoises from extinction?

Yes - Save the porpoise!

The WeMove Europe community has already shown that our voices can be stronger than that of industrial fisheries. Just last month, thanks to thousands of our direct messages, MEPs called on the EU to stop the use of giant nets that kill dolphins and seals in protected areas. That kind of pressure can work again to save the precious Baltic porpoise.

Thank you for adding your voice,
David (London), Aleksandra (Warsaw) and the entire WeMove Europe team

P.S. Do you know that there are less than 500 porpoises left in the Baltic Sea? It’s not easy to spot them at sea. Unlike dolphins, porpoises rarely jump out of the water. It's time to make noise about these hidden animals. Call for porpoise protection now.