*[Enwl-eng] Bank of France

ENWLine

Feb 7, 2021, 11:48:51 AM2/7/21
to "ENWL-uni"

5 years of shame

The ECB gives away billions of euros to the biggest polluters, no environmental string attached.

But, one person could change everything!

Ask the French Governor to keep his promise by making the ECB a “pioneer in the fight against climate change”.

 Sign the petition

5 000 billion euros, no environmental string attached. The European Central Bank (ECB) is pumping a good chunk of this baffling sum into big polluters, like Shell and Total.

But, one person could change everything: François Villeroy de Galhau, the governor of the French central bank. He's on the board of the European Central Bank and claims he wants to make it a “pioneer in the fight against climate change”.

Yet, this laudable ambition seems to be nothing but lip service: the governor plans on waiting another "3 to 5 years" to turn his words into action!

Our planet can’t wait that long. Let's drive M. Villeroy de Galhau to put his foot down:

Mr Governor, do not wait 5 years to act: push the ECB to immediately stop supporting companies destroying the environment!

Two months ago, SumOfUs members like you called on governor Villeroy de Galhau to stop investing in coal, shale oil and gas. He listened to us and recently adopted new drastic exclusion measures!

While the French central bank recognizes the need to act without delay in France, it digs its heels in at the European level.

This is totally inconsistent. Instead of using his influence at the ECB, the governor decides to… do literally nothing.

Together, we can push him into action once again.

Mr Governor, the Covid crisis is striking Europeans hard, and they refuse to also pay the price for big polluters. Don’t make them go through two crises at once:

Ask the ECB to ban polluters once for all!

More than 167 000 Europeans already called on the ECB to stop funding climate chaos. The French central bank has a unique opportunity to support your demands and uphold hopes of a fairer and more sustainable future.

Call on the French central bank to put its words into actions. European monetary policy should support the fight against the climate crisis and for social progress, not stand by a system based on carbon emissions and inequalities.

Mr Governor, we can’t wait any longer: urge the ECB to decarbonize Europe by abandoning fossil fuels!

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

(In French) Sortie des énergies fossiles : le sursaut de la Banque de France
Reclaim Finance. 18 January 2021.

Production Gap Report 2020
UN Environment Programme. 2 December 2020.

Quantitative easing & climate: The ECB’s dirty secret
Reclaim Finance. 18 May 2020.

European Central Bank: Stop funding the climate crisis!
SumOfUs. 1 June 2020.

We demand central banks stop financing financial chaos
Reclaim Finance. 1 May 2020.

Open Letter to the European Central Bank
350.
1 June 2020.

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 11:19 AM
Subject: Bank of France