*[Enwl-eng] Lobsang Yangtso

1 view

ENWLine

Oct 7, 2021, 11:44:37 AM10/7/21
to "ENWL-uni"

image of a woman called Lobsang Yangtso in a field wearing a hat

Lobsang Yangtso escaped from Tibet by climbing over the Himalayas when she was just 9 years old.

Today, she's an environment and climate crisis expert with a Ph.D. And she's terrified about what is happening in her Tibetan homeland, where ice is melting 3x faster than anywhere else on the planet. As home to a glacier that provides water for 1 in every 5 people on Earth...we should all be terrified.

Lobsang wants to sound the alarm at the critical COP26 climate conference in Glasgow, just weeks away. But the high cost of attending means she and other front-line activists and experts are being shut out completely -- leaving the fossil fuel lobby to control the narrative and stop real action.

We can change that -- if thousands of us chip in, our community can send Lobsang to meet our leaders...and fund campaigning for real impact at the conference. Can you chip in to help?

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

The world’s biggest oil and gas companies will descend on COP26 in an all-out offensive to protect their profits. Their plan is to lobby countries to invest in gas as a path forward instead of actual clean energy. And if they succeed, it will mean we continue down the catastrophic pathway to 2.7-degrees of heating.

Imagine what it would mean for the next generation.

The good news is we know what we have to do to win: center the stories of those on the front lines of climate disaster to show world leaders that the cost of inaction is just too high.

But a combination of travel costs, visa complexities, and new covid restrictions requiring vaccinated people from South America, India, and Africa to quarantine means that the people we most need at the table won’t be there. Unless our community steps in.

Lobsang knows exactly what is happening to the environment in Tibet and has witnessed firsthand the impact of the climate crisis in this fragile and vital land.

If we’re going to have a shot at taking on the massive oil and gas lobby, we need voices like Lobsang’s at COP26. Can you give just a small amount to send Lobsang and her team to Glasgow?

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

The threats we face are a matter of life or death. If we don’t slam the brakes on runaway climate change, our future is extreme weather, food shortages, and millions displaced. The next few months will decide if we succeed or fail, but to win we need to center the voices of the communities with everything at stake.

The SumOfUs community has come together time and time again to stand in solidarity with communities risking everything to change the world -- from the Indigenous peoples of the Amazon to Bangladeshi labor organizers to communities across the globe taking on corporate power. Let’s do it again to save the planet we all call home.

Thanks for all that you do,
Allison, Sondhya and the SumOfUs team

More information:

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 1:37 PM
Subject: Lobsang Yangtso