*[Enwl-eng] It's all thanks to YOU

ENWLine

Nov 16, 2020, 12:21:49 PM11/16/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Procter & Gamble’s business partner FGV has been banned from importing palm oil to the US -- thanks to your action, and a law that’s almost 100 years old!

Vladimir, you just dealt a massive blow to one of the worst workers rights offenders in the palm oil industry. That’s one giant step towards justice and dignity for abused palm oil workers.

There’s an old US trade law, the Tariff Act of 1930, which includes a provision banning imports made with forced labor. So back in August of 2019, we co-filed a Tariff Act petition along with our partners at GLJ-ILRF and RAN, asking US Customs and Border Protection to ban imports of FGV palm oil to the US, citing well documented forced labour and human rights violations.

But we couldn’t just file the official petition and hope for the best. After more than a year of ramping up the pressure via petitions and social media actions, US Customs and Border Protection issued a Whithold and Release Order for FGV palm oil imported to the US, in other words, a ban on FGV’s dirty palm oil!

Excerpt from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s press release announcing its decision on FGV’s palm oil forced labour case.

Excerpt from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s press release announcing its decision on FGV’s palm oil forced labour case.

FGV is contesting the ban, and denying claims of forced labour. If we let our guard down now, FGV’s army of lawyers will probably prevail, and the worker abuse and exploitation will continue as if nothing had happened.

We can’t let this slide. We can’t let FGV lie to the U.S. Customs and continue to abuse workers on its plantations in Malaysia. The abuse is well documented and it’s horrific. Child labour, workers subjected to physical and sexual violence, intimidation and wage and passport retention.

With your help, we can continue to fight to obtain justice for palm oil workers. A donation from you today will help us campaign for fair wages, dignified, safe, and humane working conditions but also the restitution of workers’ passports and the reimbursement of the recruitment fees they had to pay.

will you support this fight with a one-off gift?

Thanks for all that you do,
Fatah and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 4:07 PM
Subject: It's all thanks to YOU