*[Enwl-eng] Worse than bullets

ENWLine

Oct 8, 2020, 9:01:29 PM10/8/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi! You may have thought about donating to provide life-saving Coronavirus aid for the most vulnerable Amazon tribes. Our first deliveries of vital medical equipment and food aid are already helping to save lives, and more is on the way. But the crisis facing the Amazon is HUGE.

We don't normally resend emails like this, but every penny we raise will make a difference -- can you chip in?

Take Action Now!
Dear friends,

I made the first call, and cried. Then I made a hundred more -- talking to Amazon chiefs and elders throughout the rainforest.

The voices changed, but it was all one story: of Earth's most resilient people, passionate guardians of the forest, facing utter devastation by Covid-19. It's killing their elders, their children, mothers, and warriors.

One man was days from any hospital, and his wife was sick. The next time we spoke, she was dead. And yet he couldn't stop to grieve. Too many of his people still needed help.

The scale of the suffering nearly broke me -- but instead, I got to work on a plan.

We've now mapped out the Amazon's most vulnerable communities and what they need to survive. We know where they are, and how we reach them -- and I'm hopeful, because with just one good fundraising response from the Avaaz community, we can save thousands of lives. Medicine, covid tests, urgent food aid -- we can deliver it all.

It's an incredibly ambitious plan, but these people -- the Waorani, the Yanesha, the Kayapó, and dozens more -- they've given all they can to protect their families and the rainforest. Now it's our turn. Donate now and Avaaz will spend every penny we get on this urgent response:

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €28
OTHER AMOUNT
We can't save the Amazon without the people who call it home. Over thousands of years tribal elders have grown a deep, intimate wisdom of the rainforest, and how we can help it to heal. But now that ancient human library is being ravaged by the virus, just at the moment the world needs most.

More than 150 tribes in Brazil are already infected and people are dying at DOUBLE the rate of the general population. I know how desperate it is. They told me through tears.

We can get funds into these remote communities, fast. Already, thanks to the power of small donations from many of us, we’ve just helped over 35,000 indigenous families across the Amazon. It's incredible, but we have to do more. So I've mapped it all out, and if we raise enough, we can:
  • Provide vital Covid-19 testing kits, medical supplies, and food packages for desperate families;
  • Fund mobile health facilities and makeshift ICU beds in remote areas and rebuild rundown health centres;
  • Buy vital communication equipment so communities can coordinate evacuations, report infections, and call for help.
This is our chance to defend the defenders; to lift up the people who've cared for and protected the world's most precious rainforest for millenia. And I promise that myself, Avaaz colleagues, and all the indigenous leaders I spoke to will make every cent count. This can save lives, so please donate what you can now:

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €28
OTHER AMOUNT
Our movement has stood with indigenous communities from the very start. That’s why our phones have not stopped ringing with calls from indigenous leaders -- because they trust us during one of the darkest moments they've faced. These are truly some of the most inspiring people in the world and they know exactly what they need to survive -- our help. So let's do all we can to lift up the guardians of Earth's most precious rainforest.

With fierce hope and determination,

Oscar, with Mike, Bert, Nell, Martyna, Mouhamed, and the whole team at Avaaz

PS - This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

PS - Here are a few photos of what our community’s first round of donations has already made possible:

Testing, treatments, and oxygen tanks -- it's all provided in one of the 262 rapid-response ICUs we've helped set up in remote areas of the Amazon.

Community members receive medical advice and covid-testing at a makeshift clinic.

There are no roads deep into the Amazon, so here food aid and medical supplies are delivered by boat.

This is one of many community food gardens Avaaz members have funded, so families can grow healthy food while supply chains remain severely disrupted.

Days from the nearest hospital, often the only way to reach communities is over rivers or by air. This is one of the planes that was used to deliver aid and medical supplies -- again funded by small donations from people like you. Thank you!

PS - This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

More information:

Deforestation, oil spills, and coronavirus: Crises converge in the Amazon (Grist)
https://grist.org/justice/deforestation-oil-spills-and-coronavirus-crises-converge-in-the-amazon/

Protecting the Earth’s First Responders from Covid-19: How to Prevent the Extinction of Indigenous Communities in the Amazon (Avaaz Report)
https://secure.avaaz.org/amazonemergency

Coronavirus gets dangerously close to isolated ‘Arrow People’ in Amazon (National Geographic)
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2020/08/coronavirus-gets-dangerously-close-to-isolated-arrow-people-in

Avaaz is a 60-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2020 4:35 PM
Subject: Worse than bullets