*[Enwl-eng] Billionaires writing laws

ENWLine

Sep 25, 2021, 1:33:15 PM9/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"

In just days, EU politicians will vote on the future of legislation that could finally rein in the Big Tech giants -- and end their days profiting off viral Covid disinformation, racial hatred and more.

Now Facebook and Co are spending MILLIONS of dollars on lobbyists in a desperate bid to water down these laws.

That’s why SumOfUs is on the streets of Brussels today demanding EU politicians listen to the people instead.

These politicians really care about their public image -- our pressure can make them do the right thing. But first we need to make sure they hear us. Will you send a Tweet to key MEPs and help amplify our call?

Send a tweet

Billion-dollar social media corporations have inflicted so much harm, from spreading false claims about bogus Covid cures to promoting eating disorders -- a company memo leaked this week shows Instagram actually hid research showing just how bad it is for teen mental health.

We can’t let these companies shape our laws. If we show Europe’s politicians that we -- the people -- are watching their every move, we can push them into acting for the interests of the public, not Big Tech profits.

Will you help by sending a Tweet to MEPs who will vote on this crucial legislation? If we fill up their feeds on the same day there is a major action on the streets of Brussels, we can really turn up the heat:

Send a tweet

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia, Flora and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 1:21 PM
Subject: Billionaires writing laws