*[Enwl-eng] A one million strong petition

1 view

ENWLine

Jan 11, 2022, 11:34:15 AM1/11/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Millions of animals travel long distances in trucks and ships in horrific conditions. Crowded, beaten, or starved. We need a few more signatures to reach a million before a key vote to stop this torture! Sign before we deliver our petition at the European Parliament on Thursday.

Hi,

No matter who we are, where we live or what we do, nobody wants animals to suffer.

But the reality for millions of lambs, calves, sheep and cows is very different. Industry is maximising profits, instead of providing basic animal welfare.They transport these animals we know are capable of feeling joy and fear over huge distances. [1] And in crowded, packed, suffocating conditions that are getting worse and worse. [2]

But we have an opportunity to change this.

On Thursday, we are going to meet with a Member of the European Parliament,Tilly Metz. She is the Chair of the Committee of Inquiry on the Protection of Animals during Transport. We will meet her before an important vote in Parliament.

This vote could mean the beginning of the end of torture in transport for millions of animals. The petition we will present Metz with is about to reach a million signatures.Can you help us go beyond a million to send a message they won’t be able to ignore before the vote?

Yes, I’ll sign and share!

As animals can’t do politics, they need a human voice to defend their right to a life free of torture - that’s what our community is here for.

People power works. We have been part of a growing movement and have turned the tide for the well-being of animals:

  • Spain has approved a new law that recognises animals as “sentient beings” [3]
  • The European Commission has pledged to introduce a new law to phase-out cages in EU farming [4]
  • Italy has banned fur farming [5]
  • France will ban animals in circuses and mink farming [6]
  • Germany plans to have an obligatory animal welfare label on meat [7]

On Thursday, we have another chance to reduce suffering for millions of animals. Help show that Europeans expect the European Parliament to take action, despite the interests of the big farm industry.

A one-million strong petition could be the argument that wins undecided Members of Parliament over. Will you help?

Yes, I’ll sign and share!

Thank you for being the voice of those who can’t speak,

David (London), Virginia (Madrid) and the entire WeMove team

[4] https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22698265/europe-cage-ban-animal-welfare-eggs-pork-united-states
[5] https://www.eurogroupforanimals.org/news/italy-bans-fur-farming-january-2022
[6] https://www.thelocal.fr/20211118/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-frances-proposed-animal-rights-law/
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-s-new-animal-welfare-law-passes-What-will-it-change-for-pets
[7] https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/new-german-coalition-deal-seeks-farm-animal-welfare-less-weed-killer-use-2021-11-24/

WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet.

WeMove Europe is funded by donations from our community across Europe. Can you chip in with a few euros a month and help make sure we can move fast to win the campaigns that matter to all of us? Donate

Follow on Twitter | Like on Facebook | Subscribe on Youtube

WeMove Europe SCE mbH | Planufer 91 Berlin | www.wemove.eu | Privacy policy

Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 3:58 PM
Subject: A one million strong petition

Millions of animals depend on us to end the torture they suffer. Help reach a million signatures before we meet the Chair for Animals Protection at the European Parliament!