*[Enwl-eng] OSCE Summit - Finland NATO - war warnings

1 view

ENWLine

May 1, 2022, 12:44:39 PM5/1/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends of peace

As attachment (with all signatures) the final letter to the President, Government and Parliament of Finland on a new OSCE Summit in 2025, requesting that Finland (as well as Sweden) should not apply for NATO membership before such a conference has taken place.

A small group of peace advocates received surprisingly an invitation from the Finnish Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto on April 22 to discuss the letter.

After the audience it was clear to us that Finland does not intend to implement the plan for a new OSCE Summit. Minister Haavisto (the Greens) accused Russia of not allowing the participation of the free press and NGO:s and  found that unacceptable. The following day, the Green delegation unanimously issued a positive statement on NATO membership and Minister Haavisto stated that Finland would work for peace and disarmament within NATO.

At the audience, minister Haavisto did not answer our question as to whether he thought it possible that Russia would attend an OSCE conference in Finland if Finland applied for NATO membership.

Since we after the audience knew that Finland has put plans for a summit on hold we now hope for organisations to push for the conference to be held in Austria or Switzerland.

Unfortunately, the situation looks pretty hopeless. It is clear that Finland will submit the NATO membership application in mid-May and Sweden will most likely follow suit.

But if we could bring together a group of organisations that would urgently push the issue of an OSCE conference in Austria or Switzerland, we would at least show that we haven't given up.

Any ideas on how we could still influence this extremely threatening development are extremely welcome.

Many well-known prominent persons from the western world warn of the consequences for world peace if Finland joins NATO. Pls see links below.

We hope for an intensive cooperation for as long as it is still possible.

Ulla Klötzer and Lea Launokari - Women for Peace – Finland

-------------------------

1)

The Heat: Ukraine admits taking heavy losses in Donetsk region – 1.5.2022

Former Greek Finance minister Yanis Varoufakis

At about 4 min in the interview:

“What seems to me absolutely clear that we should not want here in the West NATO to expand all the way to the Russian border…  Do we really want Russian and NATO nuclear warheads to be stationed within kilometers from one another……”

He also talks about neutrality (mentioning Austria) as the first best solution to solve the situation. He also says that president Zelensky has spoken about this a number of times and the only ones that have not spoken about this is the west, and Joe Biden in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qCOZkQ-R4

2)

Jeffrey Sachs, Columbia University's Center for Sustainable Development Director

Sachs: Sanctions will not change the shape of the war in Ukraine

At about 4 minutes and forward – NATO enlargement – Finland joining NATO would be reckless and provocative at this moment…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGjtgjDwFBQ

3)

THE CRITICAL HOUR –

In the radio program 16.4.2022 prominent American personalities are interviewed;  Scott Ritter and Raymond McGovern (see information about them below) under the headline:

 Russian ‘Incoming’ To Destroy Weapons Coming In”.

The discussion is about the situation in Ukraine and the world at large. In particular, one must listen to the discussion (at about half of the program) which deals with the situation in China, according to which the US may have to face two nuclear-weapon states, and then also includes a direct warning to Finland.

Scott Ritter

Weapons inspector, writer, and lecturer. United NationsNew York, NY, weapons inspector in Iraq, 1991-98. News analyst for CNN and NBC television networks. Producer of documentary film Shifting Sands: The Truth about Iraq, 2000. Military service: U.S. Marine Corps; attained rank of major.

Raymond McGovern

is a former Central Intelligence Agency  (CIA) officer turned political activist . McGovern was a CIA analyst from 1963 to 1990, and in the 1980s chaired National Intelligence Estimates and prepared the President's Daily Brief. He received the Intelligence Commendation Medal   at his retirement, returning it in 2006 to protest the CIA's involvement in torture. McGovern's post-retirement work includes commenting for Consortium News, RT, and Sputnik New among other outlets, on intelligence and foreign policy issues. In 2003 he co-founded Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. (VIPS).

https://raymcgovern.com/2022/04/16/scott-ritter-ray-on-ukraine-russian-incoming-to-destroy-weapons-coming-in/

4)

NATO increases the danger of nuclear war on Russia's border  - Die Nato erhöht an Russlands Grenze die Atomkrieg-Gefahr – 22.4.2022- April 22, 2022

“It is very understandable that Finland is seriously considering applying for NATO membership. After the attack on Ukraine, the security needs of neighboring Russia are no longer taken into account. But another problem arises: the nuclear balance of terror is finally undermined. A nuclear war is becoming more likely.”

(“Es ist sehr gut nachvollziehbar, dass Finnland ernsthaft prüft, ein Gesuch um Aufnahme in die Nato zu stellen. Nach dem Überfall auf die Ukraine wird keine Rücksicht mehr genommen auf das Sicherheitsbedürfnis des angrenzenden Russlands. Doch es entsteht ein weiteres Problem: Das atomare Gleichgewicht des Schreckens wird endgültig ausgehebelt. Ein Atomkrieg wird wahrscheinlicher.”)

Die Nato erhöht an Russlands Grenze die Atomkrieg-Gefahr

Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2022 5:33 PM
Subject: OSCE Summit - Finland NATO - war warnings

OSCE - Niinistö - English - 2.4.22.docx