*[Enwl-eng] Fossil fuels are suing us

ENWLine

Feb 24, 2021, 5:19:13 AM2/24/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Fossil fuel companies are suing our governments for their climate action and are winning billions in compensation. They can do this thanks to a little-known but dangerous treaty, but we can leave it. Next week, governments will meet -- France and Spain are already calling the EU to withdraw. Add your name to call the others to pull out and stop this treaty!

Hi,

After years of mobilisation, lawsuits against their government, thousands of people in the streets: our friends in the Netherlands have won. Their government heard their voices and decided to phase out coal. It is a message of hope for all of us who aspire to live in a world where we protect what is most precious: our planet.

But a German fossil fuel giant and coal plant owner is using a little-known treaty to sue the Netherlands and claim about 1.4 billion euros in compensation. [1]

And no EU country is safe from such an attack. This treaty - The Energy Charter Treaty, allows fossil fuel giants to sue any of our governments for changing their energy policies even if it means that our planet and future generations will suffer.

Next week EU countries will start key talks on the future of this dangerous treaty. Although countries like Germany are dragging their feet, a growing number of powerful countries such as France and Spain are already calling on the EU to pull out. [2]

We need other EU countries to join the revolt. To do this we have partnered with dozens of organisations across Europe and journalists who will reveal shocking stories to build the media pressure. Join the people power wave to stop this treaty!

SIGN NOW

The Energy Charter Treaty is a blast from the past, from a period of governments' climate denial. [3] Yet, fossil fuel companies are clinging to it for dear life because it means they can protect their profits.

But protecting their profits means suing governments who dare put people and planet first. And when they win, governments have to pay compensation: our hard-earned taxes. It’s already cost Spanish citizens almost 1 billion euros. [3]

Now the rage and resistance against this treaty is growing everywhere in Europe. France, Spain, and several MEPs from across the political spectrum are calling Europe to pull out of the treaty. Other powerful countries like Austria, the Netherlands, and Belgium are moving in our direction. [4]

What we need now is a movement, people taking action across Europe. Next week is key, but just the start. Let’s start with a bang.

ADD YOUR NAME

This is not the first time that we Europeans will come together to fight the power of big corporations. A few years ago, we beat the biggest investment and trade treaty between the US and Europe - the famous TTIP. It took a lot of effort: 3.5 million signatures, and hundreds of thousands of people in the streets. But we took on the corporations, the lobbyists, 28 governments and WE WON.

Now let’s do it again with this treaty which gives full power to fossil fuel industries.

With hope,
David (London), Alex (Marseille), Virginia (Barcelona) and the whole WeMove Team