*[Enwl-eng] Baby Penguins

ENWLine

Jul 31, 2019, 9:27:39 AM7/31/19
to "ENWL-uni"

Every year thousands of baby penguins starve to death in Antarctica - this catastrophe can be stopped if their habitat is declared a sanctuary. Right now our hope lies with the President of the EU Council: he believes the sanctuary is a good idea and soon he will meet with world leaders - let's tell him to make this a key agenda point. Add your name to the call:

Hi,

Every year thousands of baby penguins starve to death in Antarctica - this catastrophe can be stopped if our leaders declare their habitat a sanctuary so that the krill they eat are free from overfishing and allowed to replenish. [1]

In just a few weeks, the leaders of the world's most powerful countries will meet in France, and there they could make this sanctuary a reality. The President of the EU Council Donald Tusk has voiced his support for a sanctuary before; now he has the perfect opportunity to turn his words into action by making sure this gets on the agenda for the meeting.

Tusk will soon finish his term as president, and showing leadership on this could be a powerful way to shape his legacy. So let’s show him what to do in his last months in office -- to save the penguins and their home! Add your name to the call:

Sign the petition

The Antarctic Ocean supports an abundance of life that’s already struggling because of climate change - and now industrial fishing vessels are strangling the ecosystem by overfishing the krill that sustains it. [2]

The Antarctic is majestic but it’s also fragile - it’s suffering at the frontline of the climate crisis and seeing huge biodiversity loss. But we know that protecting our oceans, particularly the Antarctic Ocean, can give a serious boost to global efforts to combat these twin crises [3].

Penguins in the Antarctic

Protect penguins in the Antarctic

Our earth and the animals that call it home can’t speak for themselves, so it’s up to us to defend them. Let’s send a message to the one man who can help us finally protect the Antarctic - send a message to Donald Tusk now:

Sign the petition

Thank you for taking action to protect our shared home,

Virginia (Madrid), Fatima (London), and the whole WeMove Europe team

PS. Krill fishing has been a fast-growing industry. The latest fishing technology allows ‘suction’ harvesting of krill by large trawlers. Krill, an important source of food for penguins and other wildlife, have declined as much as 80% since the 1970s. [4] Take action now to make an Antarctic sanctuary a reality.