*[Enwl-eng] Sign to demand that Coppertone remove harsh and deadly chemicals from their sunscreen!

ENWLine

May 28, 2020, 10:51:17 AM5/28/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Coppertone sunscreens contain chemicals that harm coral reefs. It should remove these toxins and do its part to save our oceans!

Sign Now

As summer swiftly approaches, plans and activities will obviously be very different than in previous years. While we navigate the "new normal" that the COVID-19 pandemic has ushered in, we are doing our best to keep ourselves, loved ones, and the most compromised members of our society safe. But there are still ways to stay happy, healthy, and active. One option is spending time outdoors in the sunshine, where experts say we are safe provided that we are socially distant. But what if the sunscreens we use are far from safe?

Coppertone sunscreen contains oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are chemicals that can bleach, stunt, and even kill corals and other marine organisms. Not only are reefs home to countless organisms — 25% of all ocean species rely on reefs for survival — but they also provide endlessly for humans. It is estimated that reefs yield as much as 172 billion U.S. dollars yearly for humans by providing food, tourism, shore protection, and products used in medicines. Coral reefs are also a key player in keeping our environment healthy. It is unacceptable that Coppertone would make sunscreen that protects us but harms the coral reefs that we and our environment depend on.

Hawaii made history when it officially banned sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, but it should not be up to individual states or territories. Companies like Coppertone can stop this harm at the source, and they should! Coppertone's parent company, Bayer, says it continuously works to "develop product solutions that benefit the environment." But there are plenty of environmentally friendly sunscreen ingredients already. It's time for Bayer to live up to its promises of corporate responsibility and stop selling products that it knows are contributing to coral bleaching and the deaths of marine vertebrates. Tell Bayer to change Coppertone's ingredients and go reef-safe, before it's too late!

Thank you,

  Lauren W.
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. It's time for Coppertone to stop selling products that are contributing to coral bleaching and the deaths of marine vertebrates. Please sign the petition.

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com