*[Enwl-eng] The book every opponent of war needs

1 view

ENWLine

Oct 30, 2020, 8:54:40 PM10/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

“You say you’re against war, but what’s the alternative?”

The Fifth Edition of A Global Security System: An Alternative to War (AGSS) is now available!

AGSS is World BEYOND War’s blueprint for an alternative security system – one in which peace is pursued by peaceful means.

The Fifth Edition features many updates, including new sections on Feminist Foreign Policy, Infrastructures for Peace, and the Role of Youth in Peace and Security.

You can be among the first to read or listen to it in any of these formats:

Here is what people are saying about it:

"The AGSS provides tried-and-test strategies and actionable tips for those curious about and committed to building and sustaining peace by peaceful means." —Alison Sutherland, Rotary Action Group for Peace – Chair

“What a treasure. It is so well written and conceptualized. The beautiful text and design immediately captured the attention and imagination of my 90 graduate and undergraduate students. Visually and substantively, the clarity of the book appeals to young people in a way textbooks have not.” Barbara Wien, American University

“A Global Security System is a serious and major attempt to explore what a world without war could be. The book presents, from many angles, an interconnected vision, with a positive framing of what is possible and that the capacity exists to make it happen. This book is an incredible undertaking and I really appreciated the clarity of the layout, which makes the ideas tangible.” —Matthew Legge, Peace Program Coordinator, Canadian Friends Service Committee (Quakers)

“As a peace educator who has taught in the US, UK, Turkey, and currently in Poland, I found this book a breath of fresh air. Not only does it present the idea of abolishing war as possible, it provides a comprehensive framework with three broad, but at the same time, practical strategies on how to go about it. Too often I hear from students a sense of hopelessness and despair about the future of peace and security, not knowing what they can do to change the current system. I found this book both empowering and inspiring, offering many pragmatic suggestions on how students can take can on leadership roles in the global movement to develop a paradigm for an alternative global security system. This book serves as a dynamic tool that I intend to incorporate into my current peace education curriculum.” Dr. Vanessa Tinker, Lecturer at Collegium Civitas, Warsaw, Poland

"A Global Security System: An Alternative to War (5th edition) is a superb introduction to the theory and practice of building a peaceful future for the world. Based on the most up-to-date research, accessibly written, wide-ranging and thorough, well-organised and rich in further resources and practical ideas, this collaborative volume provides an outstanding source for students and teachers looking to better understand how destructive militarism is, and how to practically create a more peaceful international system. Highly recommended." —Professor Richard Jackson, University of Otago, New Zealand, Director of the National Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (NCPACS)

"A Global Security System: An Alternative to War" is a timely publication for the communities of scholars and practitioners of peace and conflict transformation worldwide. The three inter-related strategies set a foundation for sustainable and realistic approaches to peacemaking and peacebuilding. Throughout my work in the field I have witnessed how the availability of all sorts of arms, including small arms, have shattered communities, exasperated conflicts, and contributed to digging deep incurable wounds between groups and individuals. I have also witnessed the transformation of violent conflicts into peaceful coexistence and prosperity through the persistent, carefully-crafted, implementation of non-violent inclusive peace processes, programs and projects. This book offers a comprehensive, 360-degree, vision for peace that left no stone un-turned. Its unique approach will inspire and inform generations of peacemakers the world over." —Amr Abdalla, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus and former Dean and Vice Rector, UN-established University for Peace

Get the AGSS by clicking here, and see for yourself.

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, activists, and allied organizations advocating for the abolition of the very institution of war. Our success is driven by a people-powered movement – support our work for a culture of peace.

Opt-in for important, timely mobile messages.

World BEYOND War 513 E Main St #1484 Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Privacy policy.
Checks must be made out to "World BEYOND War / AFGJ" or we can't deposit them.

Switch to receiving only one e-newsletter every two weeks.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2020 5:30 PM
Subject: The book every opponent of war needs