*[Enwl-eng] Chubb

1 view

ENWLine

Aug 5, 2020, 9:28:07 AM8/5/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Canada’s dangerous Trans Mountain oil pipeline project just lost its lead insurer, but hasn’t been stopped for good.

Can you send a message to their new biggest insurer now to ditch this disastrous fossil fuel expansion project?

 Send a message

You did it! Over 100,000 SumOfUs members like you called on insurance companies to stop fuelling climate chaos and underwriting destructive projects like the Trans Mountain pipeline. And Zurich, Trans Mountain’s biggest insurer, listened!

The Trans Mountain pipeline operators say there’s still plenty of insurers, after Zurich just cut ties. But we know who their new biggest insurer is: Chubb.

Email Chubb executives and call on them to stop insuring the dangerous Trans Mountain pipeline.

Unfortunately for our planet, right before the COVID-19 crisis hit, the Canadian courts greenlit the Trans Mountain pipeline – a reckless project that would increase tanker traffic through the Salish Sea by seven hundred percent, endangering the already struggling resident Orca whale population.

The government is adamant about pushing this disastrous project though which is why insurance companies hold the key to stopping this pipeline. If the pipeline can’t get corporations to pay for cleaning up its spills, it can’t operate.

Days before we were going to deliver your massive petition to the headquarters of Zurich, the company agreed to not renew insurance for this climate bomb.

So now, with less than a month before the insurance expires, we have to push the remaining insurers to follow suit and end the Trans Mountain pipeline once and for all.

Email the executives at Chubb insurance today to stop the Trans Mountain pipeline.

SumOfUs has forced financial institutions to pull out of dangerous pipelines before. When over 360,000 members like you signed a petition calling on major banks to pull the plug on the Dakota Access pipeline during the heart of the Standing Rock protests, the largest bank in Norway decided to pull funding the day after we brought your names to their headquarters.

And just two weeks ago, the US courts forced the Dakota Access pipeline to drain all its oil and stop operating. Activists were able to stop the Dakota Access pipeline because we took action over and over. And together, we can stop the Trans Mountain pipeline too, but only if we keep the pressure on. Please take action now.

 Send a message

Thanks for all that you do,
Angus, Amelia, Eoin, and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Zurich Insurance drops cover for Trans Mountain oil pipeline, Reuters, July 22nd, 2020
Sumas First Nation chief says Trans Mountain spill happened just south of a cultural and burial ground of great significance, National Observer, June 24th, 2020

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 5:04 PM
Subject: Chubb