*[Enwl-eng] Stop the silent collapse

ENWLine

Mar 24, 2015, 10:52:40 AM3/24/15
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends,

When seasoned sailor Ivan Macfadyen returned from his last Pacific crossing
he raised an ominous alarm:

"I'm used to seeing turtles, dolphins, sharks and big flurries of feeding
birds. But this time, for 3000 nautical miles there was nothing alive to be
seen.”

This once vibrant expanse of sea was hauntingly quiet, and covered with
trash.

Experts are calling it the silent collapse. Although very few of us see it,
we are causing it -- overfishing, climate change, acidification, and
pollution are devastating our oceans and wiping out entire species. It’s not
just the annihilation of millennia of wonder and beauty, it impacts our
climate and all life on Earth.

But we have a fleeting window still to act and 2015 could be the year to
turn the tide -- the UN is considering an initiative to stop dumping and
pillaging in the high seas, and the UK just announced that they will create
the largest single marine reserve ever in one of the most pristine areas on
earth!

Lack of political will is the only real obstacle to getting more of these
agreements moving. But creating massive public pressure to force political
will is what our community is best at.

Avaaz has already helped win two of the biggest marine protected areas in
the world. If enough of us pitch in now, we’ll ramp up our oceans
campaigning to pull this crisis back from the brink, and save our precious
oceans from silent collapse.

Ivan’s account of his apocalyptic voyage is a clarion call to action. Let’s
get started right away.

Click now to pledge to support the Avaaz oceans campaign - donations will
only be processed if we raise enough to expand our efforts.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_our_oceans_nd_cntrl/?bUSymfb&v=55257

This is us vs. the polluters, fishing empires, and agribusiness. Right now,
fishing boats are scraping the ocean floor clean, and over 80% of sea
pollution is coming from fertilisers, pesticides, and plastics pouring off
land. The reports are dire: in less than 50 years, our oceans could be
completely fished-out. In 100 years, all coral reefs might be dead.

But just as wilderness parks work to rehabilitate life on land, the same
happens in the ocean. If our governments create big enough marine reserves
and enforce protection laws, the ocean can regenerate.

If we pledge enough now we could win a network of marine sanctuaries in the
Pacific, Antarctic, and the Atlantic; challenge illegal fishing and
agribusiness where they are ravaging pristine natural regions; and go after
a legally binding high seas agreement at the UN so 64% of the ocean’s
surface will be protected!

Famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau said: “people protect what they love.”
Let’s pitch in and inspire millions more people to fall in the love with the
ocean and defend its treasures.

Click below to pledge what you can and Avaaz will only process our pledges
when we raise enough to make a difference:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_our_oceans_nd_cntrl/?bUSymfb&v=55257

We are in a precarious moment when there are still fewer marine mammal
extinctions than there are on land, and when ocean ecosystems have shrunk
less than those on land. We have not yet passed the tipping point for our
oceans, but we will if we don’t act soon and at a scale that rivals the
enormity of the problem. There is no other community in the world that can
do that like we can.

With hope and huge gratitude for this inspiring community,

Emma, Nell, Ricken, Mais, Danny and the whole Avaaz team

More Information:

Ocean Life Faces Mass Extinction, Broad Study Says. (New York Times)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/science/earth/study-raises-alarm-for-health-of-ocean-life.html?_r=0

Conservationists call for UK to create world's largest marine reserve
(Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/10/conservationists-call-for-uk-to-create-worlds-largest-marine-reserve

U.N. moves toward ocean biodiversity treaty (AFP)
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/01/25/world/science-health-world/u-n-moves-toward-ocean-biodiversity-treaty/#.VPlOOmR4q-B

The ocean is broken (Newcastle Herald)
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/--this/
Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Avaaz

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us
via the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).