*[Enwl-eng] California Motorists Lead the Way In Cutting Gasoline Use

ENWL.Bellona

Nov 20, 2011, 5:35:20 PM11/20/11
to Bellona Enwl-eng

California motorists leading the way on using less gasoline
In the first six months of this year, Californians used nearly
7.3 billion gallons of gasoline, down 1.7% from the same period last
year and off 3.5% from the first half of 2002. And that's despite
adding drivers.

Illustration Omitted:
In 2002, there were no hybrids available and there were only
3,461 electric vehicles registered in the state. This year, the
number of hybrids registered in the state is approaching 400,000,
according to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the number of
electric vehicle registrations in nearing 100,000. Above, traffic on
the 110 Freeway heads toward downtown Los Angeles. (Genaro Molina,
Los Angeles Times / October 2, 2011)

By Ronald D. White, Los Angeles Times
October 1, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

California drivers, long a symbol of America's love affair with cars,
are enamored with saving fuel these days, so much so that they're
setting the national standard for burning less gasoline.

In the first six months of this year, Californians used nearly 7.3
billion gallons of gasoline, down 1.7% from the same period last year
and off 3.5% from the first half of 2002.

"In California, the freeways are so crowded that it's probably not a
noticeable difference, but it's real and it's important," said
Michael Sivak, a research professor at the University of Michigan's
Transportation Research Institute.

What's more, the state has been lowering consumption even as it's
been adding drivers. The nation's most populous state had 23.8
million licensed drivers at the beginning of this year. That's 1.8
million, or 8.3%, more people behind the wheel since 2002.

Californians aren't the only ones putting the brakes on fuel
consumption. Motorists across the nation are hitting the pump less
often because of high fuel prices, economic stress and improved car
technology, experts said.

"You aren't buying as much gasoline if you can't find a job," said
energy economist James Williams of WTRG Economics.

Although drivers in other states also are using less fuel, Energy
Department statistics show California has been taking the lead during
the last several years when it comes to saving gasoline.

Among the states with the most licensed drivers, only Texas kept
consuming more fuel nearly every year for the last decade, according
to Energy Department data. Now, even Texans have taken a dramatic
turn: Retailers sold 6.3 billion gallons of gasoline in the first six
months this year, down 7% from the same period last year, but still
up 7% from the first half of 2002.

Still, with 9 million fewer licensed drivers, Texas consumes 459
gallons a year per driver. That's compared with California's 321
gallons.

At the other end, drivers in Florida and New York stepped on the gas,
buying fuel at a slightly faster pace this year compared with the
first half of last year. The states of Pennsylvania, Michigan,
Illinois and Ohio have managed sharp drops in gasoline use, but those
states have stagnant populations and haven't been adding drivers.

Some of the decline in gasoline consumption is tied to the severity
of the recession, the tepid recovery that has followed and the high
price of fuel.

"This would really be something to celebrate if we were in a period
of economic growth," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil
Price Information Service. "We could cite government leadership. We
could celebrate people deciding to buy a lot more fuel-efficient
vehicles."

"But I think a great deal of it is a manifestation of the misery out
there of people living paycheck to paycheck."

In troubling economic times, consumers are reaching for the least
expensive opportunities for change.

Supermarket cashier Jodie Moore, 25, commutes from Venice to the San
Fernando Valley in the 17-year-old Volvo her dad gave her. But on
weekends, she said, she stays closer to home, which she and her
friends described as being AWOL - always west of Lincoln Boulevard.

"I park my car on my two days off, and I don't use it again until I
have to go back to work," said Moore, who relies on a new Linus
Dutchi one-speed bike that her family helped her buy. "So that's two
days of not driving a car. It's a way of cutting back without
sacrificing too much, and it's also fun."

Research by Sivak of the University of Michigan shows that Americans
have mostly managed to avoid the temptation to drive more even as
they switched to more fuel efficient vehicles, comparing statistics
from this year with 2007. Drivers this year reduced their driving
distances by 6% compared with the first six months of 2007, Sivak
said, adding that new-car buyers this year were picking vehicles that
had 11% better fuel economy than new-vehicle buyers in 2007.

Americans tend to purchase vehicles that get better mileage in times
of high fuel prices and high unemployment, Sivak said.

"Some of these changes are economically driven," he said, "but they
are also technologically driven."

In California, one change stands out - the increase in hybrid and
electric vehicles.

In 2002, there were no hybrids available and there were only 3,461
electric vehicles registered in the state. This year, the number of
hybrids registered in the state is approaching 400,000, according to
the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the number of electric vehicle
registrations is nearing 100,000.

Consumer advocates contend that Americans - fed up with the oil
industry, dependence on foreign energy sources and high gasoline
prices - are venting their frustrations through their driving
behavior.

"The pain in their wallets is causing them to rethink their
lifestyles," said Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog in
Santa Monica, a frequent critic of Big Oil. "People tend to be a lot
more environmentally conscious when just ignoring it is going to cost
them something."

The changes are even more significant, Court said, given the steady
rise in the number of drivers.

"It shows that ultimately we can solve both the higher emission
problem and the higher consumption problem associated with more
drivers if we can continue to improve fuel efficiency technology,"
Court said.

ron....@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-california-gas-20111002,0,6916890.story

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this
material is distributed, without profit, for research and educational
purposes only. ***