*[Enwl-eng] The Big Conservation Lie

ENWLine

Sep 22, 2017, 4:28:39 PM9/22/17
to "ENWL-uni"

Conservation and tribal peoples – what does a Kenyan conservationists have to say?

"Conservation in Africa today has become an extension of colonialism..."

Dear Vladimir,

I'm writing to let you know about a groundbreaking book by Kenyan ecologist Mordecai Ogada, PhD, and journalist John Mbaria, "The Big Conservation Lie."

This extremely powerful new book sets out to "highlight and protest a lot of the injustices that go on in the world today in the name of conservation," and to expose the devastating impact on indigenous peoples.

In this short video message, Mordecai Ogada explains why his book was necessary.

We can't recommend "The Big Conservation Lie" highly enough and we urge our supporters to buy the book, read Survival's review and watch the extract below from a compelling and hard-hitting talk Mordecai Ogada gave at Colorado University.

We are doing all we can to ensure it receives the wide readership it deserves: The more widely we expose this "conservation con," the closer we get to an environmental movement which is spearheaded by tribal peoples – the best conservationists.

Best wishes,

Stephen Corry
Director
Buy "The Big Conservation Lie" now

Want to know what we think?

Read the review written by Survival's Lewis Evans, who explains exactly why this book is what the (conservation) world has been missing for decades.
Read the review

Racist undertones to conservation policy today

150 years ago, explorers and colonists were carried around by African porters... Now it's eco-tourists. In this powerful video clip, Mordecai explains how institutionalized racism and deceptive fundraising tactics by big organizations are harming conservation and resulting in widespread human rights abuses against the local and indigenous peoples who have managed the environment for millennia.
Watch and share the video

About Mordecai Ogada

Mordecai Ogada, PhD, has worked for eighteen years on carnivore conservation in sub-Saharan Africa. He is the director of Conservation Solutions Africa and former executive director of the Laikipia Wildlife Forum. He has previously worked with the Kenya Wildlife Service, the Wildlife Conservation Society, and Ecotourism Kenya.

PS: Do you know a software developer? Survival is hiring!

We're looking for a brilliant new software crafter to grow our incredible team.
Please share our advertisement far and wide →
Share
Tweet

Since 1969 | Offices in London, Berlin, Madrid, Milan, Paris and San Francisco
Supporters in over 100 countries
A 501(c)(3) organization | Registered charity no. 267444
Our mailing addresses:
Survival International USA, PO Box 26345, San Francisco, CA 94126
Survival International, 6 Charterhouse Buildings, London EC1M 7ET, UK

Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 4:05 PM
Subject: The Big Conservation Lie