[can-eecca] Fwd: [comms-ipcc-ar5] FINAL IPCC AR5 WG1 PACKAGE: highlights, messages, infographics, IPCC originals

vl1enwl

Sep 27, 2013, 3:19:39 PM9/27/13
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi there

Here is our final package of resources on IPCC AR5 WG1 on launch day. The
IPCC closing press conference has just finished, and you can find their
press release, the agreed Summary for Policy-Makers (SPM), an IPCC
Highlights document, and (later) a recording of the closing press
conference at: http://www.climatechange2013.org/

Attached are some new and updated resources for you. First, there is the
updated Resource Pack document for GCCA/CAN partners with updated AR5 key
findings, NGO messaging, draft op-ed, sample tweets and Fb posts and more.
The embargo on this has now lifted, it's meant to inform your output but
not for publication or wider distribution.

We also attach a short comparison document which highlights the main
changes in the SPM resulting from this week of negotiations here in
Stockholm. This may save you time if you don't want to re-read the entire
SPM. We are also attaching - courtesy of our friendly colleagues at
RAC-France - three simple info-graphics for use on social media platforms
or to illustrate your blogs.

Also, re-sending from last night, attached is a template press release for
local use, please add your spokesperson's name and local flavour to make it
fit your needs. And below you still find the run down of messages, news
coverage, stakeholder statements and rebuttal pieces that we already shared
last night.

Please help make the case for strong climate action by using the IPCC
report to increase the pressure on our governments to fund and ensure
emission cuts and adaptation efforts. Big thanks to everyone on the ground
in Stockholm who supported this effort, and to colleagues around the world
engaging and helping remotely. More updates may follow depending on the
public/media debate resulting from this IPCC release today.

Have a nice weekend

Ria from CAN and Christian from GCCA

ACTIONS

Hashtags to use: #debateisover, #IPCC, #AR5, #IPCCAR5

TOP LINE MESSAGES

We have put together some global topline messages to help with your IPCC
reporting. Communicating AR5 is likely to be most effective if output is
focused on what the science means at the local level; both climate impacts
and the political implications of the IPCC report. Local impact and success
stories can help make communications about AR5 more relevant and engaging
for targeted audiences.

The Science

· The IPCC Report shows with extreme certainty that climate change
is real, caused by human activity and requires urgent action. According to
the IPCC, sea levels are rising, precipitation patterns are changing, sea
ice is declining and oceans are acidifying - all with grave consequences
for our communities, environments and economies. Some regions of the world
will experience more frequent or more intense droughts, floods or storms.

· If we look at global warming, the three most recent decades have
all been warmer than all preceding decades since the industrial revolution.
The period covering 1983 - 2012 was very likely the warmest 30-year period
in 800 years, and likely the warmest of the past 1400 years.

· This is the most comprehensive, authoritative and scrutinized
report on climate change that has ever been written. Prepared by over 800
of the world's leading experts from all corners of the globe it is the most
encompassing assessment of scientific knowledge on climate change.

What it means

· Climate change is impacting people here and now, but the
consequences will be even worse in the future if action is not taken.
Therefore the focus must now be on ensuring comprehensive government action
that averts the worst impacts of climate change.

· For the first time, the IPCC report identifies a global level
for carbon dioxide emissions that the world cannot exceed if we are to meet
the international goal of preventing devastating levels of global warming.
While the new IPCC report comes with good news saying that strong action
can still keep warming within the 2 degrees C danger-threshold, it also
states clearly that the world is currently headed for a much higher
temperature rise.

· Governments must urgently implement plans to reduce emissions or
the dangerous impacts already affecting vulnerable communities will become
even more widespread.

Urgent Action

· Governments must make necessary funding available to increase
resilience and support vulnerable communities suffering the most from the
impacts of climate change happening now. More funding would be available if
governments phased out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies and instead
provided incentives for and access to clean, renewable energy for all.

· Most known fossil fuel reserves must stay in the ground if we
want to guarantee a safe climate future, so governments should divert
investments from new fossil fuel development towards clean, renewable
energy and innovative solutions to use energy more efficiently. The
solutions exist and taking action makes sense, delivering important
benefits for communities, economies and the environment they depend on.

Managing Risk

· Climate action is also about risk-management. The science tells
us that that risks are huge, and our actions have to match what is
effectively the biggest challenge of our generation.

· Climate action is necessary to stave off this challenge, and to
create a fairer, healthier and happier place for future generations. The
longer we delay real action, the more expensive addressing climate change
will get.

REGIONAL BREAKDOWN

The IPCC offers a comprehensive view on global climate change. If you are
interested in local climate observations, projections and impacts affecting
your region directly and want to make your messaging more relevant and
engaging in your country, we have produced a "Region by Region
Guide<http://treealerts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IPCC_Region_by_Region_14Sep2013.pdf>"
to IPCC's AR5 WG1.

KEY RESOURCES

From briefing documents, to recent coverage, infographics and videos, here
are some key resources which could help you to better understand the IPCC
process and aid your messaging over the coming week.

Tools and Resources:

Briefing: How to read the
IPCC<http://treealerts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/How-to-read-an-IPCC-report-Final.1..pdf>

Briefing: Business briefings on the latest climate
science<http://www.cpsl.cam.ac.uk/ipcc>(CPSL)

Briefing: IPCC
Backgrounder<http://climatenexus.org/resources/ipcc-orientation/>(Climate
Nexus)

Briefing: The Hottest
Decade<http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HottestDecade.pdf>(Climate
Nexus)

Briefing: What does 95% really
mean?<http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/95percent.pdf>(Climate
Nexus)

Briefing: IPCC
Primer<http://treealerts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IPCC_PRIMER_PROCESS_SEPT_2013.pdf>(Grantham
Institute)

Blog: How to read an IPCC
report<http://theconversation.com/explainer-how-to-read-an-ipcc-report-18520>(the
Conversation)

Factsheet: The role of the
IPCC<http://www.trust.org/item/20130920130545-cswfi>(AlertNet)

Report: Dealing in
Doubt<http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global/usa/report/Dealing%20in%20Doubt%202013%20-%20Greenpeace%20report%20on%20Climate%20Change%20Denial%20Machine.pdf>(Greenpeace)

Website: IPCC AR5 WG1 <http://www.climatechange2013.org/> (IPCC)

Website: The Consensus Project <http://theconsensusproject.com/>

Website: Sourcewatch <http://www.sourcewatch.org/>

Commentary profiles: Serial climate
misinformers<http://www.skepticalscience.com/misinformers.php>(Skeptical
Science)<http://theconsensusproject.com/>

Recent related news:

August tied with 2005 as the fourth warmest August on record
globally<http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/08/>(NOAA)

Arctic sea ice shrinks to 6th lowest extent on
record<http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/>(NSIDC)

Research finds evidence of human-caused climate change in half 2012's
extreme weather
events<http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/20130905-extremeweatherandclimateevents.html>(NOAA)

What people are saying:

Briefing: PwC's sustainability team previous
IPCC<http://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/2013/09/pwc-preview-ipcc-ar5-science-report.html>(PwC)

Statement: Body of climate science
'overwhelming'<http://www.hzg.de/mw/earthleague/036338/index_0036338.html.en>(Earth
League)

Press Release: World must heed new climate change
warning<http://www.christianaid.org.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/september-2013/climate-change-already-happening-world-must-heed-new-ipcc-climate-warnings-says-christian-aid.aspx>(Christian
Aid)

Press Release: Nature's distress call is getting
louder<http://www.wwf.org.uk/what_we_do/press_centre/index.cfm?uNewsID=6812>(WWF)

Blog: Managing climate
risk<http://power.panda.org/general/managing-the-climate-risk/>(WWF)

Blog: Climate change - five minutes before
midnight<http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/david-nussbaum/climate-change_b_3961314.html?utm_hp_ref=uk>(WWF
on Huffington Post)

Storify: IPCC as it
happens<http://blogs.wwf.org.uk/blog/climate-energy/climate-change-new-report-published-by-ipcc/>(WWF)

Press Release: A hotter world is a warmer
world<http://www.oxfam.org.uk/blogs/2013/09/a-hotter-world-is-a-hungrier-world-warns-oxfam-ahead-of-ipcc-report>(Oxfam)

Report: Climate change, food and the fight without
hunger<http://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/ib-growing-disruption-climate-change-230913-en.pdf>(Oxfam)

Blog: The troubling human toll of climate
change<http://oxfameu.blogactiv.eu/2013/09/25/the-troubling-human-toll-of-climate-change/>(Oxfam)

Press Release: Climate change impacting children's lives
worldwide<http://www.unicef.org.uk/Latest/Publications/climate-change-report-jon-snow-2013/>(Unicef)

Report: Climate Change: Children's
Challenge<http://www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Publication-pdfs/unicef-climate-change-report-2013.pdf>(Unicef)

Recent Coverage

A long list of articles that gives you all the helpful angles and key
voices out there in recent days:

Climate experts warn of sea peril in new
report<http://dawn.com/news/1045424/climate-experts-warn-of-sea-peril-in-new-report>
(Dawn.com)

Business looks to UN report for clarity on climate
risks<http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/26/climate-ipcc-business-idUSL5N0HF31U20130926?feedType=RSS&feedName=industrialsSector>(Reuters)

Scientists 'sure' of humans' role in warming
(<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/scientists-sure-of-humans-role-in-warming/story-e6frg8y6-1226727223139>the
Australian)

Global warming: What the leading scientists
say<http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/global-warming-what-the-leading-scientists-say-8839763.html>(the
Independent)

Tony Juniper: Hoping for the best about climate change just isn't good
enough<http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/hoping-for-the-best-about-climate-change-just-isnt-good-enough-8839481.html>(the
Independent)

Climate change report will point a finger at
humans<http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/09/24/climate-change-report/2862815/http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/09/24/climate-change-report/2862815/>(USA
Today)

Lord Stern: It would be absurd to underestimate climate change
risks<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/24/lord-stern-climate-change-riskshttp://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/24/lord-stern-climate-change-risks>(the
Guardian)

Climate uncertainty is a sign of good
science<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/climate-uncertainty-is-a-sign-of-good-science.html>(Bloomberg)

What 95% certainty of warming means to
scientists<http://bigstory.ap.org/article/what-95-certainty-warming-means-scientists>(AP)

Lord Stern: IPCC report will underestimate climate
change<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10331898/Lord-Stern-IPCC-report-will-underestimate-climate-change.html>(the
Guardian)

So bad it will be good! Global warming report will scare countries to
action, says UN review
head<http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/so-bad-it-will-be-good-global-warming-report-will-scare-countries-to-action-says-un-review-head-8837189.html>(the
Independent)

Leading climate change economist brands sceptics
'irrational'<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/24/lord-stern-climate-change-sceptics-irrational>(the
Guardian)

Human role in warming 'more certain' - UN climate
chief<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24204323>(BBC)

Climate change forecasters 'failed to see the human
costs'<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article3878377.ece>(the
Times)

Climate Change in
Rehab<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/leaders/article3877236.ece>(the
Times)

No 'serious person' should doubt man behind climate change, says Tony
Blair<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10329520/No-serious-person-should-doubt-man-behind-climate-change-says-Tony-Blair.html>(the
Telegraph)

Global 'cooling': how will the IPCC explain 15-year temperature
hiatus?<http://www.rtcc.org/2013/09/23/global-cooling-how-will-the-ipcc-explain-15-year-temperature-hiatus/>(RTCC)

World is heading for a heart attack, says climate
expert<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article3876363.ece>(the
Times)

Scientists set to prepare strongest warning that warming
man-made<http://www.trust.org/item/20130922215246-bn0o9/?source=hptop>(Reuters)

Media:

Video: Met Office's Peter Stott explains the
IPCC<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfd_sSr4OV8>

Video: 25 years of the
IPCC<http://www.nature.com/news/climate-assessments-25-years-of-the-ipcc-1.13751>(Nature)

Video: IPCC in 90
seconds<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24149439%20>(BBC)

Video: IPCC scientist on how the reports come
together<http://vimeo.com/74904969>(ACE CRC)

Video: Dr Stephan Harding explains what the IPCC is and why it
matters<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwq5wpQP0ds>(Life Size Media)

Infographic: 25 years of the
IPCC<http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/7.12550.1379497447!/image/IPCC-Graphic.jpg>(Nature)

Infographic: Climate change: Everyone's
Business<http://www.cpsl.cam.ac.uk/ipcc>(CPSL) - need to upload!

Infographic: Scientific Consensus <http://theconsensusproject.com/> (The
Consensus Project)

Graph: Future global warming under
business-as-usual<http://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=88>

Photo: Scientists launching previous IPCC
report<http://www.flickr.com/photos/56651366@N00/7515007796/in/photolist-cs5nZW-cs5nDS-cs5mTs-cs5nKu-eBZ3eJ-eBZ4yo-cs5eXU-cs5fZQ-cs5g3N-cs5f1J-cs5gg7-cs5eP7-cs5g6s-a7tP4D-8Yodgh-cs5o9o-cs5nrY-cs5mNd-cs5mxm-cs5omf-cs5mYy-cs5meh-cs5njy-eBVUcH-eBZ3Q5-cs5gcd-cs5eUm-cs5g9y-a7wFK1-a6CHdq-a6zTr8-a6zUfR-a6CEAo-a6CFXE-a6zVSM-a6CLb7-a6CPmd-7AvwiB-cKgbqY-bEg6Cs-bTaQtX-c28tk5-c28t1U-bTaQS2-bTaQoZ-c28tF3-c28sNb-f17kHB-f1mFcy-f17k2H-f17hyF>

Photo: "I don't believe in global
warming<http://www.flickr.com/photos/londonmatt/4203327856/>
"<http://www.flickr.com/photos/56651366@N00/7515007796/in/photolist-cs5nZW-cs5nDS-cs5mTs-cs5nKu-eBZ3eJ-eBZ4yo-cs5eXU-cs5fZQ-cs5g3N-cs5f1J-cs5gg7-cs5eP7-cs5g6s-a7tP4D-8Yodgh-cs5o9o-cs5nrY-cs5mNd-cs5mxm-cs5omf-cs5mYy-cs5meh-cs5njy-eBVUcH-eBZ3Q5-cs5gcd-cs5eUm-cs5g9y-a7wFK1-a6CHdq-a6zTr8-a6zUfR-a6CEAo-a6CFXE-a6zVSM-a6CLb7-a6CPmd-7AvwiB-cKgbqY-bEg6Cs-bTaQtX-c28tk5-c28t1U-bTaQS2-bTaQoZ-c28tF3-c28sNb-f17kHB-f1mFcy-f17k2H-f17hyF>

Photos: Ice sheets and sea
ice<http://treealerts.org/categories/278,275,286/search_type/and/order/date/?filtro=resources&types=278&topics=275&regions=286>

Photos: Extreme heat
(1<http://treealerts.org/topic/extreme-weather/2013/01/plant-in-dried-up-soil-photo/>,
2<http://treealerts.org/topic/extreme-weather/2013/04/child-in-dried-up-pond-ethiopia-photo/>,
3<http://treealerts.org/topic/extreme-weather/2013/03/drought-at-lake-hume-photo/>
)

Photos: Fossil fuel industry
(here<http://treealerts.org/categories/278,292,276/search_type/and/order/date/?filtro=resources&types=278&topics=292&regions=276>and
here<http://treealerts.org/categories/278,290,276/search_type/and/order/date/?filtro=resources&types=278&topics=290&regions=276>
)

Photos: Renewable Energy
(here<http://treealerts.org/categories/278,409,276/search_type/and/order/date/?filtro=resources&types=278&topics=409&regions=276>and
here<http://treealerts.org/categories/278,408,276/search_type/and/order/date/?filtro=resources&types=278&topics=408&regions=276>
)

REBUTTALS:

The new IPCC report is triggering a wave of misinformation aimed at
discrediting the science and undermining the IPCC process. We have pulled
together some of the best rebuttals to help with your own messaging
surrounding the report. If you need more information or further help with
more reactive materials and ad-hoc support with rebuttals, please contact
christia...@tcktcktck.org.

General Rebuttals:

Blog: Cherry pick all the facts you like, but the Earth is still
warming<http://theconversation.com/cherry-pick-all-the-facts-you-like-but-earth-is-still-warming-18378>(the
Conversation)

Blog: Settled
Science<http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2013/09/24/settled-science>(US
News)

Blog: Shooting the climate change messenger won't make the problem go away
<http://www.smh.com.au/comment/shooting-the-climate-change-messenger-wont-make-problems-go-away-20130924-2uasb.html#ixzz2flD11wIh>(Sydney
Morning Herald)

Blog: Is the IPCC
alarmist?<http://www.skepticalscience.com/ipcc-scientific-consensus-basic.htm>(Skeptical
Science)

Blog: Global Warming & Climate Change
Myths<http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php>(Skeptical Science)

Blog: Did global warming stop
in...?<http://skepticalscience.com/global-cooling-january-2007-to-january-2008-intermediate.htm>(Skeptical
Science)

Blog: The 5 stages of climate
denial<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/sep/16/climate-change-contrarians-5-stages-denial?CMP=twt_gu>
(Guardian)

Blog: Michael Mann: Climate change deniers must stop distorting the
evidence<http://www.livescience.com/39957-climate-change-deniers-must-stop-distorting-the-evidence.html>(Live
Science)

On climate sensitivity

Briefing: Climate Sensitivity
FAQ<http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sensitivityfaq.pdf>(Climate
Nexus)

Blog: Climate Sensitivity, A case for
misinterpretation<http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2013/04/climate-sensitivity-in-the-media-a-case-of-mistranslation-%281%29>(Carbon
Brief)

Blog: Risky Business: Gambling on Climate
Sensitivity<http://www.skepticalscience.com/Risky-Business-Gambling-on-Climate-Sensitivity.html>(Skeptical
Science)

Blog: On
sensitivity<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/01/on-sensitivity-part-i/>(Real
Climate)

On global warming 'pause'

Briefing: Global warming still on the
rise<http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/warming.pdf>(Climate
Nexus)

Blog: What has global warming done since
1998?<http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998-intermediate.htm>(Skeptical
Science)

Blog: The ups and downs of global
warming<http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/upsDownsGlobalWarming.html>(NASA)

Blog: Is global warming in a
'hiatus'?<http://theconversation.com/is-global-warming-in-a-hiatus-18367>(The
Conversation)

Recent Rebuttals:

Donna Laframboise in the Wall Street
Journal:<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981304579079030750537994.html>

Climate Science Watch: Donna Laframboise recycles old attacks on
IPCC<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/09/25/donna-laframboise-recycles-old-attacks-on-ipcc/>

LA Times on warming
"hiatus"<http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-climate-change-uncertainty-20130923,0,791164.story>

Climate Science Watch: L. A. Times Overhypes Recent Warming
Trends<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/09/23/latimes-overhypes-recent-warming-trends/>

Articles on IPCC warming
rates<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420783/Worlds-climate-scientists-confess-Global-warming-just-QUARTER-thought--computers-got-effects-greenhouse-gases-wrong.html>
:

Carbon Brief: Scientists take the Mail on Sunday to task over claim that
warming is half what IPCC said last
time<http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2013/09/scientists-take-the-mail-on-sunday-to-task-over-claim-that-warming-is-half-what-ipcc-expected/>

Slate: Another Week, Another Climate Change Denial Article in The
Mail<http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/09/16/climate_change_more_nonsense_by_the_mail_on_sunday.html>

DesmogBlog: David Rose's Misinformation Legacy from WMD to Climate
Change<http://desmogblog.com/2013/09/17/david-rose-s-misinformation-legacy-weapons-mass-destruction-climate-change>

The Australian Science and Media Centre: Did the IPCC get it wrong? Experts
respond<http://www.smc.org.au/2013/09/rapid-reaction-did-the-ipcc-get-it-wrong-experts-respond/?utm_campaign=rapid-reaction-did-the-ipcc-get-it-wrong-experts-respond>

Media Matters: Limbaugh's latest dose of tabloid
science<http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/17/limbaughs-latest-dose-of-tabloid-science/195928>

David Rose's article in the Mail on Sunday on Arctic sea
ice<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/Global-cooling-Arctic-ice-caps-grows-60-global-warming-predictions.html>
:

The Guardian: Arctic sea ice delusions strike the Mail on Sunday and
Telegraph
<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/sep/09/climate-change-arctic-sea-ice-delusions>

Bjorn Lomborg: Don't blame climate change for extreme
weather<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bjorn-lomborg-dont-blame-climate-change-for-extreme-weather/2013/09/13/4b770d48-117e-11e3-bdf6-e4fc677d94a1_story.html>
:

Climate Science Watch: Lomborg's threadbare techno-optimism resurfaces in
Washington Post,
Australian<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/09/16/lomborgs-threadbare-techno-optimism-resurfaces/>

The Heartland Institute's NIPCC report:

Climate Science Watch: Heartland Institute and its NIPCC report fail
credibility
test<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/09/09/heartland-institute-nipcc-fail-the-credibility-test/>

DesmogBlog: International climate science coalition lacks
credibility<http://desmogblog.com/2013/09/17/international-climate-science-coalition-s-lacks-credibility>

--
*Christian Teriete*
*Global Call for Climate Action*

Print this email? Really? Hmhh...

--
*Christian Teriete*
*Global Call for Climate Action*
Communications Director
E: christia...@tcktcktck.org
M: +44-(0)-7714233965
S: christian.teriete

Print this email? Really? Hmhh...

Iryna Stavchuk
National Ecological Centre of Ukraine
www.necu.org.ua
www.climategroup.org.ua
www.infoclimate.org

From: Christian Teriete <christia...@tcktcktck.org>
Date: 2013/9/27
Subject: [comms-ipcc-ar5] FINAL IPCC AR5 WG1 PACKAGE: highlights, messages,
infographics, IPCC originals

highlights, messages, infographics, IPCC originals

infographic-debate-is-over.jpg
infographic-polar-ice-melting.jpg
infographic-sea-level-rise.jpg
IPCC AR5 WG1 PR Template.doc
AR5WGIResourcePackSept27UPDATE.pdf
Comparison of Draft to Final SPM AR5 WG1 FINAL.pdf