*[Enwl-eng] The end of Trump...

ENWLine

Jan 11, 2021, 9:55:07 AM1/11/21
to "ENWL-uni"

For the sake of democracy in the US, and worldwide, he must go

Dear friends,
Enough is enough! Last week, Donald Trump incited a crowd of angry supporters to "fight like hell", and head to the US Capitol. And so they did -- storming Congress to overturn the election results, and stop Joe Biden becoming the new President. 5 people were killed.
For the sake of democracy in the US, and worldwide, he must go -- and with him the dangerous conditions that have allowed him and his followers to poison public debate with an avalanche of lies and hatred. This includes the extraordinary megaphone that social platforms have given them to spread his toxic politics.
President-elect Joe Biden knows he must urgently act to protect democracy. Let's welcome him with a massive global mandate to fix social media, and help un-Trump American politics -- and when we pass 1 million voices, Avaaz will publish our message through printing ads in major US papers:
Add My Name

Dear Mr Biden,

Today we celebrate the courage and resilience of all Americans who have defeated Donald Trump's politics of fear, hate-mongering, and bigotry.
We are relieved that Trump is leaving office. But with him much more has to go -- from the violence he's encouraged, to his denigration of women, Mexicans, Muslims, and many more, to the spreading of lies and hatred that threaten much of what we care about.
Now we count on you, Mr Biden, to un-Trump American politics, and rejoin global efforts to defend our rights and ideals from the dark threat of fascism.
Extremists are using social platforms to propel and weaponize distrust, and conspiracies, and attack the very heart of our democracies.
It's time to ensure social media promotes genuine public debate that serves democracy, and not the needs of authoritarian leaders and their allies. Act now to regulate Internet platforms before it's too lateThis must be stopped before it's too late.
Sincerely,
Add My Name
Add My Name
Social media isn’t the only reason that have stoked protests and riots in the US, and division across the world. But it's giving extremist, anti-democratic groups a powerful megaphone, accelerating the spread of their lies and hatred among millions of people - and causing a serious risk to our societies and democracies.
Now it's on us to ensure that our governments step up, to protect all of us from this unprecedented threat.
With hope,
Chris, Spyro, Antonia, Francesco, Huitheng, Luis, Raul, and the entire Avaaz team

More information:

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 4:54 PM
Subject: The end of Trump...