*[Enwl-eng] The UN Secretary General wants to know...

enwl

Aug 11, 2022, 11:16:37 AM8/11/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends,
From the climate crisis to Covid-19, the challenges of our time don’t respect national borders – they are global. So our response to them must be too.

The United Nations has been the boldest and most visionary experiment in international cooperation in the history of humanity – but in some important ways it’s broken. Too remote. Lacking teeth. Dominated by too few powerful nations.

The UN Secretary General knows this, and has set up a major global consultation to gather public input on how to make the UN work better. It closes in days – so we’re asking Avaazers across the planet to take a very short survey on what we all want from the UN. Let’s all take it, and the results will be formally submitted to the UN reform process!
When it emerged from the wreckage of World War Two, the UN represented a giant step forward in how humanity was governed. And from responding to humanitarian crises to tackling the ecological emergency the UN has played a crucial role in shaping our world for the better.

But with humanity facing multiple urgent existential crises, it needs to evolve. Without highly-functioning global governance, it’s much harder, maybe impossible, to meet the challenges we face.

There are simple things that could help, like reforming decision-making, and securing a greater role for citizens to suggest policies and choose an excellent Secretary General to lead the UN. But to stand a chance to win them, we have to make our voices heard. Loud and clear.
Our global community shares many of the values of the UN – from our fierce defence of human rights to our deep commitment to securing a sustainable future for everyone. Now we have a chance to help shape the future of this crucial organisation – let’s take it!

With hope,

Nathan, Bert, Chris, Sarah, John, Pascal, Antonia and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:
Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500