*[Enwl-eng] Eight years

ENWLine

Dec 2, 2021, 10:36:27 AM12/2/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, 8 years. 96 months. Or just short of 3,000 days.That's how long scientists say we have to cut carbon emissions in half, end the extinction crisis, and avoid an all-out ecological collapse.We need a total transformation of our societies -- but there's a way we can do it...A Harvard University team has found a golden 'rule' for creating social transformation: any non-violent cause that mobilises just 3.5% of a population reaches a tipping point where change is virtually guaranteed.And with almost 70 million members globally, representing almost 1% of the world population, alongside thousands of other organisations and movements, together we're inching toward the precious threshold of 3.5%!But time is running out, and we need to grow, fast. We need more staff in more places, working to unite movements, indigenous people, youth activists and parents, on everything from climate change to political campaigning and human rights, in a thundering global effort to save life on Earth.If just 10,000 of us make a small weekly donation, in 2022 we can launch a plan to do just that, going all out to create a turning point for life on Earth. We can still save our future -- but we MUST act now. Chip in now:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE $1 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE $2 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE $3 WEEKLY
OTHER AMOUNT
Devastating floods and blazing infernos are a sure sign that we are edging ever closer to planetary tipping points -- when sudden, violent changes shake earth's life-support systems to the core. But everyday they are being matched by literally thousands of people joining the great battle for life on earth.

We are steadily marching to a crescendo of people power, reaching social tipping points that could radically, beautifully transform our world for good. Because it's not just climate change, we also need to overcome increasing social polarisation, billions can't access life-saving covid vaccines, and global inequality is rocketing.

If there was ever a moment for people to change the course of history, it is now. So we urgently need Avaaz to grow even bigger, both in our own work and our support for others, and if we raise enough we will:
  • Supercharge our campaigning firepower by supporting ground-breaking legal cases and mobilising millions of people to hold leaders accountable in real-time;
  • Elevate the voices of indigenous people, frontline defenders, youth activists, and parents’ coalitions in global summits and in the corridors of power;
  • Defend democracies everywhere by further exposing the potentially lethal impacts of toxic disinformation, and launch an advocacy blitz to finally win new social media regulations;
  • Hire dozens of staff in new parts of the world, recruiting millions of people in additional languages to rapidly expand our movement, especially in the global south;
  • Partner with other inspiring movements, scientists, and public health experts to turbocharge our combined power for maximum impact.
The plan is ambitious, but there is simply nothing more important. Our future is on the line, and we are the last generation that can still save it. The time is now, and we are the people to do it. Let's give it everything we've got.
I'LL DONATE $1 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE $2 WEEKLY
I'LL DONATE $3 WEEKLY
OTHER AMOUNT
2021 has been another tumultuous year. But from our impact at the climate talks in Scotland, to our extraordinary fight to stop the corrosive, even lethal, impacts of social media, to the millions we've granted to other movements and activists, Avaaz has been a blazing force for good. Without doubt, we are changing the world -- but we need to do it faster. Let's make 2022 a giant leap for humanity and the planet. So strap on your boots, lift your face to the sky, and get ready for a year like no other!

With fierce hope and determination, always,

Marigona, Mike, Martyna, Anneke, Mouhamad, Bert and the whole team at Avaaz

Avaaz is a 69-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500