*[Enwl-eng] Kids are poisoned when forced to recycle our old electronics

ENWLine

Aug 11, 2020, 9:02:33 AM8/11/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Your old cell phone is probably poisoning children and animals in developing countries!

Sign Now

Vladimir,

Most electronic devices like phones and computers are built to only last about 2-4 years, even though they could last longer. This is all so we will be forced to buy the newer model. But where do all those old, outdated devices go? Because of inconsistent legislation, a lack of research into e-waste recycling, and of course the laziness and greed of those in power, much of the world's e-waste is shipped off to developing countries. There, the workers responsible for handling the dangerous chemicals in electronics are often children who are not only severely underpaid and exploited — they and their communities are being poisoned by our trash!

Sign the petition today to urge Congress to pass the Responsible Electronics Recycling Act (RERA) without delay!

The U.S. created 59 million tons of e-waste in 2019 alone and since there is no federal law prohibiting this, most of it was sent to developing countries. The toxic materials from our electronics are getting into kids' systems and resulting in kidney and brain damage, high fevers and muscle pain. But the toxins are also seeping into groundwater where they poison plants and animals and whole communities who rely on the water. There is legislation that could prevent this horrible human rights abuse. Sign now to demand the U.S. pass the RERA Act immediately!

Thank you,

Kelsey B.
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Children and their whole villages, including plant and animal life are suffering due to U.S. policy around disposing of e-waste. It's time to stop the human rights abuse!

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com