*[Enwl-eng] We're bursting with activist-y goodness!

1 view

ENWLine

May 29, 2022, 1:20:23 PM5/29/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dive in

What does activism mean to you?

Bishop Desmond Tutu said: "there comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they're falling in."

That is activism.

This summer, our Global Activists will be taking their campaigning to the streets. Across European cities, they’ll meet with decision-makers, speak about our campaigns at festivals, and help build a strong 'GenerAction' community of people demanding action to rewrite our future.

No matter where you live, we need your voice to join the global call for change! Keep a lookout for ways you can take action and support activists over the summer.

In the meantime, here is some of our favourite activism inspo to get you fired up 🔥

Things we love

❤️ theSkimm started the award-winning #ShowUsYourLeave campaign to build a public conversation on the lack of paid family leave in the United States. It began by asking people to share their own paid family leave stories on social media.

💰Gidimt’en Checkpoint and Indigenous Climate Action are fighting against a Coastal GasLink Pipeline that threatens indigenious land. The banks funding the project are being targeted in their No More Dirty Banks campaign and New/Mode explains what's happened.

⚖️Australians have just elected their first Labor Party Prime Minister in more than a decade. What's especially exciting about this election is the transformative effect on the country's political geography with the rise of Independents and Greens shattering the main party duopoly. The ChangeMaker Podcast has a two part episode that explains how grassroots campaigning is at the heart of it with local communities organising around shared values rather than political affiliations. Definitely worth a listen!

Things you can do

🧵Get your craftivism on: people are putting their knitting needles to good use and showing their support for Ukraine.

💥 Take your activism to the next level: check out this powerful collection of must-reads from the Sheila McKechnie Foundation on how social change works and the power of organising.

⚡️Test your knowledge: The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has saved countless lives through their work fighting epidemics in low income countries. But how much do you know about HIV/AIDS?

People Changing the World

My name is Tonny Silas Dauda and I'm a 25 year old ONE Champion from Nigeria.

Tell us about yourself...

While I was studying physics at the University of Jos, I joined a global youth leadership movement called AIESEC. There, I worked with other young people from Nigeria, the Republic of Benin, Denmark, and Kenya. I learned about international development, advocacy, and how youth can influence decisions at different levels. This eventually led me to become a ONE Champion in 2020.

As a Champion, I'm part of a youth-led Africa-Europe Task Force working to foster a stronger cross-continental partnership. For over a year, my team and I have been meeting with important African and European political leaders to urge them toinvest in stronger health care systems and global access to COVID-19 vaccines. Recently, I felt the impact of our work when EU leaders publicly pledged important funding to help with both of these issues.

Outside of ONE, I manage a volunteer program at UNITE 2030, helping young people develop career skills.

What work or project has had a big impact on you?

In 2018, I made a rather crazy decision that changed my life forever. I had just graduated from university and I was not sure what I wanted to do next with my life. I decided to live and work in the Republic of Benin for one year through AIESEC,even though I couldn’t speak the language and didn’t know anyone there.

That year was the most challenging time of my life, but also the most fulfilling! Despite the language barrier, I was able to work well with my team and ran campaigns to engage youth action on the Sustainable Development Goals. It taught me a lot about the power of youth action. Even when we're divided by cultural or national differences, if we are united by a drive for impact, we can do anything!

What motivates you in and outside of your work?

Ending extreme poverty and preventable disease are the two most basic challenges every human needs to overcome to live a dignified life. My family has always been there to remind me that I am here to add value to the world and that I can make my own little, yet significant, contribution in making the world a better place.

Outside of work, I love to hang out with friends, travel, and I enjoy listening good music over lunch or dinner. I'm currently reading Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday and rewatching Friends all over again for the 1 millionth time!

📺 Watch this video on Tonny's favourite moment as an activist.

Did you like today's email?

Loved it

Mehhh

Hated it

Did someone forward you this email?

This email was sent by ONE.ORG to en...@lew.spb.org.
Add one-...@list.one.org to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox.

You can unsubscribe at any time.

ONE Campaign
Endeavour House, 189 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR

Copyright © 2022 The ONE Campaign, All rights reserved. Privacy policy.