*[Enwl-eng] Beyond petitions

1 view

ENWLine

Apr 27, 2021, 9:31:03 AM4/27/21
to "ENWL-uni"

This is part of a series of 6-weekly emails written by our Director telling stories to help you understand what the heck we're trying to do and where you might fit in.

Hi,

You know when people really make your day? Well, last week that was Josefine. A member of the million-strong WeMove Europe community, Josefine lives in Ghent in Belgium. She is studying for a PhD and has two little kids. She plays an active role in this community, signing petitions, donating and taking part in actions on social media.

But she also wants more. Sometimes Josefine feels alone taking actions from home. She would like to know who else is part of this community. She would be up for meeting the ones in Belgium every once in a while.

There is good news for Josefine. Just last week a new person joined the staff team whose job it is to make sure we are heard in Brussels, one of the main power centres in the world. She will be working to connect people up and bring more colour and noise and energy to the corridors of the institutions in Brussels and more impact to our campaigns. She will also help us to counterbalance the seriously strong corporate lobby in Brussels.

Imagine if we could have one group of us making noise outside the window of an important meeting in Brussels and another putting pressure on the decision makers at that same meeting via email, calls, facebook and twitter? In fact, we have been doing this occasionally but now we have an organiser in Brussels, we’ll be able to do it a lot more! I’m also so excited about this plus the idea of members of this community coming to Brussels to join actions on the ground, once travel becomes more possible.

So what Josefine did was to explain her desire for the next step for our community. And it is exactly what we are going to do. We will start with a local group in Brussels that can help make us even more impactful here. If it works, we’d like to do the same in cities across Europe. Europe is more than Brussels and we need to influence things beyond this city. And combining online actions with actions on the ground is part of our strategy of ‘People Power to Transform Europe’. [1]

What do we mean by people power? Well, we know that people in general feel more power when together, because they have a louder voice and more influence together. We want everyone in this community to feel that power, by connection to others, by taking action and winning campaigns together. We want us all to be able to tell more stories of the change we make happen together and to use that as the hopeful fuel to keep us going.

Sometimes I feel like we are all drops of water across Europe and that when we join forces, we are a veritable ocean of potential change. WeMove is still only 5 years old, pretty young and has so much potential.

Folks, we are just getting started!

Laura

PS: Please drop us an email and tell us what you think about this to in...@wemove.eu. Or, if you would like to speak more about this, send me your number and someone from the staff team will call you!