*[Enwl-eng] Unreal

1 view

ENWL

Sep 23, 2022, 5:10:18 PM9/23/22
to "ENWL-uni"
The man leading the World Bank just said he was not sure climate change was real. He was appointed by Trump and now President Biden has the power to let him go. The Bank is critical to funding climate action and top officials confidentially told us public pressure would help replace him. Let’s urge Biden to intervene and change the Bank’s course. Sign now and Avaaz will deliver our call at next month’s annual meeting: Dear friends, This is unreal. Yesterday, the president of the World Bank, David Malpass, said he couldn't say whether climate change was real.Since the Paris Agreement, the Bank has fueled over $12 BILLION into dirty energy while pushing for oil and gas-friendly laws.A climate denier can’t be leading the world's top bank! And the pressure to replace him is ramping up – key countries are already raising concerns. But it’s the US government and President Biden who have the final say.  If enough of us urge President Biden to intervene, we can help change the Bank’s course and ensure people everywhere have access to safe, clean and sustainable energy. Sign now and share widely – Avaaz and partners will deliver our call with a splash at the upcoming annual meeting in Washington DC.
SIGN NOW
[...]

David Malpass was appointed by Donald Trump as part of his efforts to sabotage international collaboration for the climate.

Sadly, it’s working. Rather than using the Bank to truly fight catastrophic climate change and support most affected countries, the Bank is being used to fund even more pipelines and coal plants.

But following the media pressure, there’s growing concern from deep within Biden’s administration and from top officials from Germany, who is also a major shareholder.

Insiders are telling us that massive public support would help them push internally – let’s pile on the pressure and urge President Biden to clean up the World Bank and signal the days of Trump are gone.
Our movement was instrumental in landing the historic Paris Agreement. Now we have to make sure the institutions belonging to the world are up to delivering the promises and goals of the Paris Agreement.

With hope and determination,

Pascal, Christoph, Stefanie, Mario, Martyna and the entire Avaaz team

Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500