*[Enwl-eng] Lead in her blood (Право на чистую воду)

1 view

enwl

Jan 28, 2023, 12:18:16 PM1/28/23
to "ENWL-uni"
Lead, arsenic, mercury… Shirly was only 11 when she was diagnosed with leukaemia. The toxic discharges of a mining company in the community waters were to blame. She is not the only one. In every continent, big corporations are poisoning the waters, sickening millions. But ahead of a critical UN water summit, hundreds of indigenous groups and communities are joining forces to call for their right to clean water. Let's add 1 million of our voices to theirs before the talks start. Join now and share everywhere! Dear friends, Shirly was only 11 when she was diagnosed with leukaemia. It all started with pain in her feet and nosebleeds. Then the doctors found 19.8 microgrammes per decilitre of lead in her blood. She was poisoned. The toxic discharges of heavy metals in the community waters by a mining company were to blame.Arsenic, lead, mercury, manganese...  Heavy metals dumped by mining companies in the water are poisoning millions as governments worldwide prioritize water for mining and corporate uses over clean water for all. But in a few weeks things can start changing. World leaders are meeting at a historic water summit to make new commitments towards providing safe water to the billions of people still fighting for it. But unless we amplify the call for justice of the most vulnerable communities, the private sector will go unchecked.When business as usual means a death sentence for millions, governments must stand up. Join the battle to provide to every human being safe access to clean water and share!
Sign the petition to guarantee the human right to water
[...]

It is now or never. The rivers, lakes and aquifers that keep ecosystems thriving and feed a growing human population are drying up or becoming too polluted to use.

On March 23, for the first time in 47 years, the UN will host a summit on water. Indigenous groups and movements worldwide are mobilizing for this historic chance to keep up the fight for their human right to clean water, and to ensure that indigenous people's knowledge, practices, and institutions play a significant role in protecting and governing their water resources.

Let's make sure governments hear their deafening call for dignity and water justice.
The fight to protect people's rights and nature from the greedy interests of private corporations and big oil is part of our movement's DNA. We marched by the millions to secure a 1.5º aligned world; we campaigned for years to protect half of the Earth so ecosystems could restore and thrive. Let's now make sure that our movement plays a role in preserving water, the very origin of life.

With hope and determination,

Patri, Miguel, Bieta and the whole Avaaz team

Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500