*[Enwl-eng] Big tech lobbyists won’t like this

ENWLine

Nov 17, 2021, 9:48:46 AM11/17/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Facebook, Google, and Microsoft spend the most on lobbyists in Brussels. With new regulations coming in that could limit their power, they’ll be pulling out all the stops to protect their profits. Join hundreds of thousands across Europe telling Big Tech it’s time to put people over profits.

Hi,

€97 million per year. That’s how much money the tech industry spends on lobbying on digital policy in Brussels. [1] It’s worth it to them, so they can keep a business model that puts profits over all else: privacy, truth, even peace and democracy. [2]

Right now, they’re spending a lot of this money to make sure that the Digital Services Act - a new EU law - won’t change how they do business. [1] [3]

But while they’re turning up the pressure on Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) ahead of a crucial vote, there are over a hundred organisations and hundreds of thousands of people across Europe signing “The People’s Declaration,” encouraging MEPs to stand strong and make rules to control Big Tech. [3]

Can you sign the petition, so MEPs can see how many of us want real rules to limit big tech companies? The only way we can stop big tech’s big pockets is with pressure from millions of people like us, all together.

SIGN THE PEOPLE’S DECLARATION NOW

Laws governing the internet and big tech companies haven’t kept pace with the massive changes that have happened over the last 20 years – and the lack of regulation on Big Tech has left us all worse off.

Big Tech has harvested our data, targeted us with ads, harmed the mental health of teenagers, fuelled misinformation and violence, largely unchecked. [4] So far, very little has been done to regulate and stop the spread of lies, hate and disinformation on their platforms.

Now, with the new Digital Services Act, the EU has charted a way forward that could completely change the way Big Tech operates. [5] And whatever our MEPs decide now could shape the laws governing Big Tech for a generation.

SIGN TO PUT PEOPLE OVER PROFITS

Our community has teamed up with over a hundred organisations to fight for a better internet. Together we have a fighting chance to take on Big Tech. They have money but together we have millions of people with us, supporting The People’s Declaration, calling on the EU to bring in strong rules which prioritise the needs of people over the profits of Big Tech.

If we stand up now, we’ll make sure our representatives in Brussels hear from us, not only from Big Tech’s lobbyists, who are trying to water down the act and make sure it doesn’t impact their future profits.

Sign now to remind our MEPs that their job is to protect us, not the massive profits of Big Tech.

Thank you for your support,
David (London), Aleksandra (Warsaw), Giulio (Rome) and the entire WeMove Europe team