*[Enwl-eng] 24 hours to stand up to Big Tech

1 view

ENWLine

Jul 13, 2021, 12:43:12 PM7/13/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Big Tech companies have been left to write their own rules with devastating consequences -- our privacy invaded, democracies undermined, communities divided by hate and lies.

But now the European Union is planning new laws that could finally rein them in.

A powerful committee of lawmakers is meeting tomorrow to vote on key measures in the draft legislation -- it’s a critical moment that will set the stage for whether Europe is truly prepared to stand up for People against Big Tech.

If we send Committee members urgent messages 24 hours before the vote demanding they protect our rights, not Big Tech profits, they’ll have to pay attention. Will you take 2 minutes to send them an email?

Yes I’ll send a message to rein in Big Tech

Groups with a combined membership of over 25 million people have already come together to support a People’s Declaration calling on the European Parliament to stand up for citizens against Big Tech's assault on our fundamental rights. And this is our first action to make sure they listen!

If enough of us send the text of the declaration to the Committee we can show that there’s a groundswell of support for action -- that people want technology that serves us, not corporate interests.

Big Tech is desperate -- it’s spending millions on lobbyists to try to water down this legislation. This is our chance to start an organised pushback. Can you help?

Yes I’ll send a message to rein in Big Tech

We've had incredible wins over WhatsApp's power grab in Brazil that are being felt all over the world. And when BigTech CEOs testified before Congress we were there too with a huge stunt that was splashed across international media. Our community is making a difference. This is the fight of the century, and we have to keep going.

 Yes, I'll send a message now

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia, Flora and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Brussels’ plan to rein in Big Tech takes shape POLITICO, 01/09/2020
'Big Five' tech giants spent €19m lobbying EU in 2020 EU Observer. 01/03/2021
Understanding Europe’s big push to rewrite the digital rulebook TechCrunch. 30/12/2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 12:09 PM
Subject: 24 hours to stand up to Big Tech