*[Enwl-eng] Myanmar's bloody crackdown

ENWLine

Apr 1, 2021, 7:42:37 AM4/1/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Myanmar's military is murdering peaceful protesters -- and they're doing it with billions in support from gas and oil companies like Total and Chevron.

Local activists are calling on the companies to urgently suspend payments to the military until democracy is restored -- let's show that people all around the world are backing them up.

 Sign the petition

Myanmar's military has staged a coup and is murdering hundreds of peaceful protesters, including children -- and they're doing it with billions in support from oil and gas companies like Total and Chevron.

Oil and gas is the government's top funder. So while the US, UK, and others place sanctions on the military, these ruthless Generals will be unfazed as long as they have the support of energy giants.

Activists in Myanmar are urgently calling on the companies to end their support to the military -- let's show that people all around the world are backing them up:

Total and Chevron: stop supporting the bloodbath in Myanmar

Oil and gas contribute $1.1 billion a year to the now-military-controlled government. Activists are calling on companies to stop these payments and put the contributions into a conditional account, to be released when democracy is restored. We know this is feasible -- it's been done before during other global conflicts. Total and Chevron could suspend direct payments to the military, but only if there's enough pressure to do so.

The military is proudly proclaiming they aren't impacted by sanctions by the US, UK, and EU. That's not only because of the continued support of China, Singapore, and others -- Total paid the government at least $412 million in 2019, making them possibly the largest single backer out there.

If corporations don't pull their funding, government sanctions will amount to nothing. Let's help activists in Myanmar pull the plug on the military's corporate backers:

Total and Chevron: end support for the Myanmar coup

We know companies like Total are sensitive to pressure. It's why they hire lobbyists and PR firms in every corner of the world to control their reputations. But thousands of SumOfUs members can’t be silenced, and we will pull out all the stops to make sure execs hear our call.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Rewan and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Oil companies urged to make sure no money flows from Myanmar projects to military junta The Guardian, March 1, 2021
U.N. says at least 38 dead in Myanmar anti-coup protests as security forces shoot to kill Washington Post, March 4, 2021
How the oil and gas industry bankroll the Myanmar military regime Justice for Myanmar, Feb 8, 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 7:09 PM
Subject: Myanmar's bloody crackdown