*[Enwl-eng] Zuckerberg's worst plan yet

ENWLine

May 6, 2021, 12:59:37 PM5/6/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Facebook is building an Instagram for Kids -- hoping to hook them on likes and harvest their data for profit.

Tell Mark Zuckerberg to leave our kids alone:

 Sign the petition

Just when you thought Facebook couldn’t get worse, it invents a fresh kind of hell -- Instagram for Kids.

Leaked documents show the social media giant is building a photo-sharing app for under-13s -- hoping to get them hooked early on likes and comments about their appearance, and harvest their data for profit.

But a growing chorus is speaking out against the plan, with child development experts pleading with Mark Zuckerberg to drop it. Facebook didn’t want the world to know about this yet -- it’s on the back foot. If we ramp up the pressure we could end this nightmare before it starts.

Tell Mark Zuckerberg to leave our kids alone

Instagram is already a nightmare for children, with teenagers getting harassed and abused on a constant basis -- 59% of teens have been bullied online, and surveys show Instagram is the worst offender.

Psychologists say it would be even more harmful for smaller children, who are at a crucial stage of development and just can’t cope with the relentless pressure of social media.

Facebook claims it’s doing this to make kids safer -- because it can’t keep them off regular Instagram. But that’s like saying we should make child-friendly cigarettes to stop kids from smoking. It doesn’t make sense.

There’s no “safe” way for Mark Zuckerberg to profit off our children -- we need to push back as hard as we can before it’s too late. Add your name:

Tell Mark Zuckerberg to leave our kids alone

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Facebook Is Building An Instagram For Kids Under The Age Of 13 Buzzfeed, March 18, 2021
Child safety groups ask Facebook to scrap plans for Instagram for kids NBC News, April 15, 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 7:43 PM
Subject: Zuckerberg's worst plan yet