*[Enwl-eng] Momentum is building for basic income

1 view

ENWLine

Apr 20, 2020, 1:29:13 PM4/20/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi,

Universal basic income is making waves all over the world: the Spanish government is moving towards it, the US has launched a one off UBI-like programme, France is discussing it, and even the pope is calling for a version of it!* But European leaders have not put it on the agenda of their meeting on Thursday -- yet.

That’s why, thanks to the generous donations of our community, we are running special ads in Politico -- the newspaper they all read -- so they don’t miss the message.

Will you help us boost our petition as the ads are published this week to show that people all across Europe demand an emergency basic income?

Share the petition!

Or forward the email below we sent you a few weeks ago:

* https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coronavirus-crisis-could-pave-the-way-to-a-universal-basic-income.html

Email sent 20 March 2020:

The Coronavirus crisis has left millions of people with little or no income. And we still have bills to pay! This is a real crisis for people all over Europe, that requires a European response. We demand an emergency basic income in the EU - now!

Hi,

It’s either already happened to you or someone you know. From one day to the next, the list of people who have lost their source of income and don’t know where to turn is endless. Hairdressers, taxi drivers, restaurant managers, music teachers, gym trainers, hotel receptionists, flight attendants, waiters, tour guides, and countless others don’t know how they’re going to pay their bills.

Insecurity is everywhere and can be sensed in every conversation. How long will it last? What shall I do? How much longer will I have to pay for groceries with my savings?

That is why European leaders have to step up and say without delay: We will help! The EU has the means and the authority to do it now.

Politics are already shifting - even in seemingly unlikely places. The United States government just announced a $1000 payment for all US citizens for two months. [1] The UK government is not excluding a similar measure. [2] Extraordinary payments are making headlines in mainstream media. Before we know it, EU leaders will be on to this. Let’s make sure they get it right.

Act now to make sure no one in the EU will fall into debt for having to pay their bills:

Sign now for emergency monthly payments from the EU!

Since the last major crisis of 2008, the EU has pumped trillions of Euros into the failing financial sector. Now it is time to support the people.

Basic income is an unconditional monthly payment for every person, in an amount which guarantees a basic level of everyday security. The system is easy, quick to introduce, and requires minimum bureaucracy. [3]

We know that the European institutions are working on a big rescue plan. This is the moment for us to influence what they decide and to recognise the opportunity to make a big change. [4]

Sign and demand emergency basic income for the EU!

Crises can bring out the best or worst in us. Let's go for the best. Many people are using this as an opportunity for creativity and solidarity. The EU must also do this.

In solidarity,

David, Marta (Warsaw), Giulio (Rome), and the entire WeMove team

P.S. The entire economic system is changing right now. Dogmas fall, narratives shift. Leaders are looking for solutions. They were very creative when they were saving the banks, and they can be creative now, at a time when 22% of Europeans already at risk of poverty are now in danger of spiralling further. [5] Sign and demand emergency basic income for the EU!