*[Enwl-eng] Act Now: Protect Indigenous Lands from Military Destruction!

ENWLine

Nov 4, 2021, 1:16:06 PM11/4/21
to "ENWL-uni"

As you may have heard, World BEYOND War has been helping to promote and support an advocacy campaign led by indigenous communities in rural Tambrauw, West Papua, in opposition to the Indonesian government's plan to build a military base there without the communities' permission. The base would cause serious harm, and its construction is likely illegal due to its role in protecting mining interests as opposed to international "defense." But people need help if they are going to stop it.

With your help, we can prevent this base construction!

With 90% of the residents being farmers and fishermen, they rely on natural resources — all of which would be compromised with the development of a military base. Military bases around the world have left a legacy of irreparable environmental damage including poisoning the soil and water which in turn destroys food supplies and wildlife around them. Local activists are also calling for an end to the violence which they say they’ve experienced since their lands were rezoned in 2008 and the military moved in. Building a military base will only exacerbate this violence and disrupt the lives of otherwise peaceful people.

“We, the people of Tambrauw, reject the construction of the Kodim [base] and all its supporting units because we don't want any more military violence against our citizens, we also don't want the presence of the military to facilitate the arrival of investment in our area that can steal our natural resources and destroy the forests where we live.” - Yohanis Mambrasar, a resident of Tambrauw and lawyer appointed to represent the Indigenous landowners.

With your support, we can help ensure that the people in Tambrauw remain safe and free from violence. Will you help us reach our $10,000 fundraising goal to support the people of Tambrauw to block the military base and preserve indigenous lands?

All donations will cover costs related to closing military bases including supporting the Indigenous Tambrauw Community Conference. These specific expenses include transportation of elders coming from distributed remote areas to express their opposition and strategize action plans, food, printing and photocopying of materials, rental of a projector and sound system, and other overhead costs.

Thank you for protecting indigenous communities and their land.

In solidarity,

Alex McAdams, Development Director

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, chapters, and affiliated organizations advocating for the abolition of the institution of war.
Donate to support our people-powered movement for peace.

Opt-in to mobile updates.  Manage email preferences.  Privacy policy.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

World BEYOND War | 513 E Main St #1484 | Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2021 6:51 PM
Subject: Act Now: Protect Indigenous Lands from Military Destruction!

Let's help protect the Indigenous Tambrauw community by stopping a military base from being built!