*[Enwl-eng] Paper

ENWLine

Nov 9, 2021, 7:29:50 PM11/9/21
to "ENWL-uni"

One of Europe’s biggest packaging companies is slowly killing rainforests in Colombia -- to make paper and cardboard.

The Misak people have been locked in a fight with the cardboard giant for years.

Sign here to stop Smurfit Kappa Colombia from destroying indigenous land in Colombia.

 Sign the petition

One of Europe’s biggest packaging companies is slowly killing rainforests in Colombia -- to make paper and cardboard.

For decades, Smurfit Kappa has bulldozed forests to plant its own non-native trees -- drying up the land and choking out ecosystems. And Indigenous communities are paying the price.

The indigenous Misak people, the Nasa people and other communities have lived in Southern Colombia in the Cauca region for thousands of years. This land is part of their cultural identity and is full of sacred spaces.

But Smurfit Kappa is destroying it all to make paper.

The Misak people have been locked in a fight with the cardboard giant for years -- but Smurfit Kappa still sells itself as a sustainability champ. If everyone reading this email joins this fight, we can raise a huge, global outcry -- and send Smurfit Kappa packing!

Sign here to stop Smurfit Kappa Colombia from destroying indigenous land in Colombia.

Smurfit Kappa is using every dirty tactic in the book to stop the community from recovering their lands.

According to the Misak people, Smurfit Kappa has relied on the Colombian security forces to repress their protests and has co-opted their workers against the Misak community.

In August, a young man, Huver Samir Camayo, was shot dead when he was protesting the company's stronghold in the region. We must put people and the planet first, and fight against corporate colonialism.

Will you join the struggle of these communities to reclaim their land?

Tell Smurfit Kappa Colombia to give this land back to the back to the Misak people!

When SumOfUs members act together, we make big changes. In 2017 we got Pure Blue water company out of New Zealand weeks after we got signatures from all of you. If we increase the pressure we can do the same in the Cauca.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Alys and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Smurfit-Kappa, Colombia, Environmental Justice Atlas, 8 June 2016.

Colombia: Conflicto entre reclamantes de tierras indígenas y fuerza pública en predios de Smurfit Kappa deja una persona asesinada (con respuesta de la empresa) (in Spanish), Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, 18 August 2021.

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2021 8:19 PM
Subject: Paper