*[Enwl-eng] The dirtiest plastic on earth

ENWLine

Jun 16, 2021, 7:34:16 AM6/16/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Make plastic from coal: that’s the horrifying new plan from Adani Enterprises. It's an idea so controversial even other fossil fuel companies are alarmed.

But we can stop it IF we get Adani's biggest investor, Blackrock, to come out against the plan.

Tell Blackrock to speak up now!

A digitally altered imagine showing coal excavtor digging up coal alongside a large pile of plastic waste

 Sign the petition

Even billionaire coal barons know that the era of coal-fired power is over. But they're refusing to just leave it in the ground.

So instead they've come up with a horrifying back-up plan: turn their unburnable coal into the dirtiest plastic on earth.

We’ve just found out that Adani Enterprises has submitted plans to build a $4bn plant to convert coal dug from its bitterly opposed Carmichael mine in Australia and turn it into toxic PVC plastic in India.

But we can stop this terrible plan before it ever gets off the ground, Vladimir, IF we can get Adani’s investors to revolt.

Tell Adani's biggest investor Blackrock to oppose Adani’s dirty plastics plan.

The world already has a plastics problem. And a climate crisis. Adani’s idea combines the two -- coal based plastics create triple the greenhouse emissions of conventional plastic.

Even within the fossil fuel industry, converting coal into plastic is controversial. One oil executive described coal-to-plastics plants as “massive CO₂ machines that make chemicals as a sidestream.”

And it's not just environmental damage to be concerned about. PVC plastic production creates more toxic outputs than any other form of plastic, leaving workers and nearby communities at far greater risk of deadly health impacts.

But here's the thing: these plans are new and Adani can only embark on this massively controversial and risky $4bn plan if its investors are on side.

We've succeeded at getting Blackrock to use its influence over Adani before. If we raise our voices together we can create global pressure on Blackrock to withdraw its support from Adani Enterprises over these toxic plans.

Sign the petition: Blackrock say NO to Adani’s toxic coal plans.

Investor pressures matter: last year, thousands of SumOfUs members joined a global push to stop the State Bank of India (SBI) loaning to Adani's coal mine. The outcry you helped create forced Blackrock to intervene and pressure the SBI not to make the loan. Thanks to this intervention the loan is still stalled!

When we raise our voices, investors like Blackrock listen. That's why we need to build loud and swift outcry to this terrible proposal. Add your voice now:

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Nick and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

India's Adani Group plans 2m tonne/year coal-to-PVC plant Independent Commodity Intelligence Services, 24 May 2021
Black coal to white trash Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 13 February 2020
Biggest India Bank Torn Between BlackRock and Funding Coal Bloomberg, 3 June 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 5:18 PM
Subject: The dirtiest plastic on earth