*[Enwl-eng] Stop him

ENWLine

Sep 17, 2020, 8:13:25 AM9/17/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Brazil's far right Bolsonaro is pushing the Amazon to collapse! Join the call to stop the fires:

Brazil's Amazon rainforest could collapse in a few decades, choked by intentional fires and reckless deforestation! But the European Union could use a crucial trade deal to ensure the forest is protected, and help stop this insanity. Call on Europe to save the Amazon -- Avaaz will launch opinion polls and deliver our voices to decision makers and the media:
SIGN HERE

Dear friends,

As a proud Brazilian, I’m burning with shame.

Often with the blessing of far-right President Bolsonaro, gangs of illegal farmers are burning down swathes of the Amazon rainforest. Many indigenous people standing in their way have been murdered.

We have to stop this insanity. And we can.

President Bolsonaro is desperate to close a multimillion-dollar trade deal with the European Union, but with the forest ablaze, EU leaders are considering last-minute changes to build Amazon protections into the deal.

This would force Brazil to clean up its act to trade with some of the world’s biggest economies. Let’s not leave the Amazon to burn -- add your name to call for Europe to act, and when this is huge, we’ll launch opinion polls and deliver our voices to key decision makers and the media:

Tell the EU: Don't let the Amazon burn!

Already major investors and pension funds are threatening to pull out billions from Brazil unless there is real action to combat the destruction of the Amazon. Even Brazilian bankers, leading businesses, and former finance ministers are joining calls to defend the forest.

But Bolsonaro’s eyes are squarely on the trade deal. Many Brazilians like me believe that he needs to hear a simple message from Europe: no Amazon protection, no deal. If Europe stands strong, it would be a gamechanger!

As recent studies confirm, the EU is part of the problem -- as large quantities of the soy and beef imported from Brazil may be coming from land that has been illegally deforested. But now it can and must be part of the solution.

Germany, France, The Netherlands, and Belgium have already voiced concerns about Brazil’s Amazon destruction. Let’s show they have massive public support to block the deal if necessary -- add your name while we still have time.

Tell the EU: Don't let the Amazon burn!

I am so proud of our global community, and how we have showed up, time and again, joining hands with Brazilian Avaazers to defend our country’s rainforests, and more recently to provide food and vital healthcare materials to indigenous communities on the frontlines. Let's not give up! The Amazon and its people need us more than ever.

With hope and determination,

Diego, Laura, Luis, Patri, Spyro, Ana Sofia, Aloys and the whole Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION:

Amazon tragedy repeats itself as Brazil rainforest goes up in smoke (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/02/amazon-fires-brazil-rainforest-bolsonaro-destruction

Europe Can Help Us Save the Amazon (Human Rights Watch)
https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/07/31/europe-can-help-us-save-amazon

Merkel: Amazon deforestation threatens EU-Mercosur deal (Deutsche Welle)
https://www.dw.com/en/merkel-amazon-deforestation-threatens-eu-mercosur-deal/a-54651194

Mercosur accord contradicts EU Green Deal and fails to protect communities, study says (Irish Times)
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/mercosur-accord-contradicts-eu-green-deal-and-fails-to-protect-communities-study-says-1.4350923

A fifth of Brazilian soy in Europe is result of deforestation (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/16/a-fifth-of-brazilian-soy-in-europe-is-result-of-deforestation-amazon-jair-bolsonaro

Avaaz is a 60-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020 9:09 AM
Subject: Stop him