*[Enwl-eng] Join us & EC Vice President for our big disinformation event

ENWLine

Jun 23, 2021, 9:19:12 AM6/23/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear Avaazers,
Make sure you join Avaaz - and EC Vice President Věra Jourová - for our big disinformation online conference this Thursday at 2.30pm CET

Some of the biggest names in Tech will discuss how Europe can create a ‘Paris Agreement for Disinformation’ to effectively protect our democracies and users’ rights on social media.

The EU has just tabled some of the most advanced proposals to fight disinformation, but Big Tech is ready to try to water it down. It’s key that EU decision makers feel a mass of eyes on them and their actions going forward!

Disinformation threatens humanity’s ability to tackle the key issues of our time. Climate change, pandemics, human rights, biodiversity, and helping expand democracy across the world all require protecting our communities against disinformation designed to polarize us and silence the facts.

As anti-democratic governments and other actors weaponize social media to harm us, it is on us to protect freedom of expression and our information ecosystem. Clear, transparent regulations are needed now more than ever. This conference is designed for us to find the best ways to do that.

One of our most recent reports has shown how, one year after the start of the pandemic, Facebook is still failing to protect Europeans from dangerous COVID-related disinformation (Politico, Vice, Forbes, Le Figaro, El País, Repubblica, Estadão). Our work has contributed to convince the EU of the need for more ambitious action.

But now we need to make sure that these proposals are not watered down. The Avaaz Webinar on Thursday will show them that citizens are watching!
Speakers to the event will include:
  • EU Vice President Commissioner Věra Jourová
  • Twitter Vice President for Public Policy EMEA Sinead McSweeney
  • European Parliament DSA Rapporteur Christel Schaldemose
  • Facebook Head of EU Affairs Aura Salla
  • Investigative Journalist and Real Facebook Oversight Board Founder Carole Cadwalladr
  • And speakers from the Center for Countering Digital Hate, EU DisinfoLab, Avaaz, EU Commission, European Digital Media Observatory, European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services and the National Association of Public Health Doctors (Portugal)

See you online on Thursday!

Luca, Sarah, Camille, Andy, Nadia, Fadi, Sam, Adela and the Avaaz team

PS: For the last three years Avaaz has been one of the leading organizations in the EU and around the world, reporting on disinformation and its scale, commissioning polls on its harmful effects, evaluating platforms' efforts to manage it, and identifying the failures of a variety of platforms, including Facebook, YouTube and WhatsApp. Our work has been recently covered by The New York Times, the BBC, The Washington Post, and others!

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500