*[Enwl-eng] Smartphone production is bad for the environment

ENWLine

Feb 27, 2021, 11:41:40 AM2/27/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Your smartphone dying after two years isn't just annoying and expensive. It's killing our environment.

Sign Now

If you use a smartphone, you know that they don't last as long as they should given their steep price. In fact, the manufacturers want it that way. They build smartphones that die frequently so that people will be forced to buy new ones more often. But producing smartphones is extremely taxing on our environment: mining, transportation, refining and working with the necessary chemicals all create a massive carbon footprint. Given this high environmental cost, they must be built to last longer to decrease the impact and France has a piece of legislation that would help. Sign the petition to support France's effort to regulate this wasteful cycle!

Almost half of the entire world population uses a smartphone — approximately 3.5 billion people. In the U.S., the average person gets a new phone every 1.8 years. These devices are pouring into landfills, often in poorer and developing countries, poisoning people and wildlife, while the processes of creating more to fill their places are funneling greenhouse gasses into our already warming atmosphere.

But it doesn't need to be this way! This landmark legislation from France could be the first step in setting a new precedent in supply and demand for smartphones — the fate of Earth depends on it. Sign the petition and tell the French government to adopt these regulations!

Thank you,

Kelsey
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Producing smartphones is bad for the environment, it's time we demand they are build to last longer. Sign the petition.

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com